Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1999 Firebird with M90 conversion

Originally posted by insaneABOT View Post
    I don't think Gm would have considered it. Think about it why would you invest in a V6 that can be capable to keep up with an Ls1 then your buyers would opt for the more fuel efficient V6 Supercharged than buy a V8.

That and it would have been stepping on LT1 Toes. :D Not only better fuel mileage but probably better performance. Just look at what the L67 did for the GTP imagine that in a Camaro/Firebird from the factory? I wouldn't even consider a V8 unless it was a C5. :)

Comment

There is a lot of detail here, impressive work!

Comment

Hey guys, sorry for not being on much for any updates on this build. I had the car a few days early this summer for some maintenance work and to investigate a plug wire related misfire, but otherwise is still running well and he had a ram air WS6 hood put on the car from another car at our shop and sets it off nice! Track season is about over and Im not sure it will have a chance to get there this year but would be nice to see how it runs. I will post up if the car makes it to the track.

Comment

I'm not sure why they didn't go ahead and build the supercharged versions of the 4th gens. I know they built 2 for testing. One was an L67 with the Holden blower, the other was a 4.3 but I don't remember what type of blower was on it. I know they seriously considered it for a while, but the project was cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by r_simmonds View Post
            I'm not sure why they didn't go ahead and build the supercharged versions of the 4th gens. I know they built 2 for testing. One was an L67 with the Holden blower, the other was a 4.3 but I don't remember what type of blower was on it. I know they seriously considered it for a while, but the project was cancelled.
            http://www.firebirdgt.com/SC%20Firebirds.htm
            Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

It IS unfortunate. They probably would have had to either Beef up the T5 or mount the T56 to it. But the close output numbers between the LS1 and the L67 in an F-body would have made for too much competition.

Maybe if they'd done a Firebird GTP/GXP in limited production, that would have been pretty nifty.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldsaddict View Post
                It is the stock pcm but reprogrammed. This is the 4th rwd boosted setup I have done with a F-body pcm and they work fine just take a bit of time to tune and I have a baseline to start with since I have done similar before. Idealy it would be nice to use a fwd pcm from an L67 car but several problems arise, at least with an auto trans. The 99+ cars make it worse since they are drive by wire.
                So reading up on this I was just wondering, if you use a L67 pcm for the swap and are going over to a t-5 . Would it be simpler that way, cuz I imagine some programming being done because the pcm will be looking an auto trans.

Comment

I know this thread is a couple months old, but there really isn't any info about L67 top swaps.
                  IMO, it would be easier to use an L36 pcm. Either way youre going to have to tune. I will be performing this same top swap in April, have the parts and majority of accessories.

There literally is NO info on these top swaps, if the OP is around I have lots of questions.
                  Mainly about rear supercharger clearance. I'd like to know if I can use supercharger without modifying the housing, mount a 3/16" steel plate to the SC where the throttle body goes and have an immediate U-bend cut close to relocate the throttle body.

Comment

Originally posted by mjshealy View Post
                    I'd like to know if I can use supercharger without modifying the housing, mount a 3/16" steel plate to the SC where the throttle body goes and have an immediate U-bend cut close to relocate the throttle body.
                    No - must be modified. Look in "Stickies" for more project examples.
                    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Where did you cut the housing for the intake, and how did you plug the coolant passages? Did you cut the housing all the way down, or leave the bottom intact?

Comment

And also, I see in your pics where you cut the housing for the supercharger, and then covered it and coated it with something to seal it... What did you coat it with?
                        I just cut my housing today, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to make the connection... I don't really think j.b. weld will work here lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                          Had to get another phone
                          by ssms5411
                          Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                          1 week ago
                        • ssms5411
                          Leaking front cover
                          by ssms5411
                          So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • transamtom1
                          Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                          by transamtom1
                          Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                          3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X