1999 Firebird with M90 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Firebird with M90 conversion

Hey guys, I havent been on many forums for a while due to being swamped with work and family stuff going on but moved into a new location early last summer so I got to work on some custom projects when time permitted and finally got a supercharged top swap setup on a 99 Firebird. I also posted this over on ftv6 and a few other forums but wanted to share here as well. The car belongs to a good friend and has been bugging me for the past few years but I didnt have the space to commit the project since I planned to take a lot of time to do things right and make more down the road..... After doing this project and having things buttoned up Im not sure it is honestly worth the trouble due to the extensive time involved and the expense. Its not just a simple top swap by any means- and to the few guys on here who already did this I give you a LOT of props for going at it start to finish because it is a lot of work! The firewall was not modified in any way for this project and that was the goal. The AC and ABS are still in tact as well. I made custom trolleys for the engine and trans and dropped everything out the bottom and rolled it out as this made it much easier to freshin things up and reseal the badly leaking engine. I used L32 fuel rails and since this fuel rail is for a returnless system an L67 fuel rail regularor and tubing was used and plumbed into the fuel lines under the hood. There is a whole lot more I could talk about but wanted to share a bit of what I did for now. The car is running and has a rough starting point tune on it but it has snowed here all week so I havent been able to drive it yet and the roads arent the best here, nor are the tires on the car so I cant report with its performance yet but already doing a rwd L67 swap in my 86 Cutlass produced pretty awesome results for what I worked with engine wise. This engine is still the stock lower L36, L67 heads that were rebuilt, S1X blower cam, Pacesetter headers with 3" catback, and of course extensive blower work and port job. Excuse the stock drive by wire throttle body that is currently on the car, my plans took a huge turn south after diving into wiring as this setup was intended for an LS1 throttle body. When spring time rolls around the throttle body will be swapped out with a larger one from a truck and the supercharger pulley will be dropped, this is just starting point stuff on the car for now. Apparently this forum only lets you put up 4 pics per post so I will reply back a few times with the other pics I shared on the other forums.
    I have tons of pics but pulled a few of the nicer ones to share online. Enjoy!

Camaro M90 build

m90 modification

modifying the m90 snout

modifying the m90 snout firebird
    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 01-13-2020, 06:38 PM.

Re: 1999 Firebird with M90 conversion

m90 firebird modification

modifying the m90 to fit f-body

m90 modified camaro

m90 installed on firebird
    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 01-13-2020, 06:42 PM.

Comment

m90 snout modified to fit camaro / firebird

m90 snout modification for fbody

Last edited by LETZRIDE; 01-13-2020, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Camaro M90 setup

Firebird fuel rail m90
        Camaro M90 setup
        Last edited by LETZRIDE; 01-17-2020, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Nice project. The set up looks like it could have came from factory
          Last edited by insaneABOT; 01-14-2011, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Wow, that's beautiful. You're the 2nd person I've seen so far for doing this. Since M90s are a dime a dozen and are cheap you guys should think about turning this into a kit for our cars.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

I'm impressed.
              Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

wow definately looks like a pain in the arse
                sigpic

Comment

very nice!

Comment

What all did you have to do to the wiring harness? Looks very good, I look forward to seeing it complete.

Comment

The ignition module connector is too short so it had to be lengthened to reach the new location. The MAF and IAT wires also needed lengthened to reach the throttle body on the passanger side. The throttle body wiring also had to be lengthened and was close to 24" to reach. Keep in mind this car has a drive-by-wire throttle body. 98 and earlier cars that still use a cable definately simplifies things and you would need to lengthen the TPS, IAT, and MAF sensor wiring to reach the throttle body. The ignition module wiring needs lengthened on all years. The rest will work, the coolant temp sensor connector wires seemed to work ok by taking apart a bit of the harness on the drivers side. The L67 lower intake has the coolant temp sensor on the back of the head area on the drivers side. Other than putting on the intake tubing to the air box and tuning it is done as it sits.

Comment

How is the ignition module/coil packs relocated? FWD bracket?
                        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by firebirddrvr View Post
                          wow definately looks like a pain in the arse
                          It's only a pain in the beginning. Once you get everything going it becomes easier and easier. Everything starts off in the beta phase.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

looks sharp. which trans are you using?
                            <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

The ignition module bracket is a fwd one from a Bonneville. This is identical to what is used on the Holden cars and works well for the rwd applications. I had to custom make a lower idler pulley bracket due to the power steering pump mounting where the fwd bracket goes, and on an F-body the steering rack is in the way to move the pump out of the way.

The trans is a 4L60E with a few upgrades

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X