1999 Firebird with M90 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1999 Firebird with M90 conversion

Excellent work man. It looks like that should have been a factory option.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

wow that looks killer!

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
      http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
      Or this

Comment

Originally posted by Oldsaddict View Post
        We will likely go to Muncie Dragway with it since it is only about an hour from here, well almost 2 for the owner lol but that is typically where we go unless there is an event or group going somewhere else. US41/Moroco is a nice track with good traction but is a bit of a drive for us so we dont head out west often.
        That car and setup is something I haven't seen on this site in awhile, very impressive.

Let us know when you go to Muncie, I'll head to my moms that weekend and go to Muncie for some fun at the track (and Ball St. tang).
        1995 Pontiac Firebird
        2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

hell i might venture out to check it out.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
          Or this

Comment

Any word on the latest of this project? I've owned my 3800 S2 F-body going on a year now and been doing some extensive research on performance since. This is about the best top swap I've ever seen! I can almost guarantee the demand for this "kit" if it ever comes around, as soon as you know a price range please let us know. The only legit turbo kit for our 3800 f-bodys is produced by a company out of Houston, Texas called Force Fed Fabrications and the price is in the $4500 range which doesnt include tuning. Now I don't what kind of deals others have got for their f-bodys but I only paid $1400 for my 99' with 110,000 miles and the only problem was a miss fire which was easily fixed. I think the only part of this build that is stopping most of us from doing is the fab work. So please consider making and selling the modified m90 housing as I'm sure plenty of us V6 F-body enthusiasts would love to have!

Comment

Figured I would post back with an update. The weather finally got a little better here and we put a new set of much needed tires on the car and it drives great. I have put about 60-70 miles on it so far and got a few WOT runs in and wow I have to say it feels good. Its no 12 or 11 second monster but would definately put up a fight with quite a few street cars and I feel as it sits is good for high to mid 13s even with the stock undersized throttle body and stock 3.8" pulley. The broad powerband feels great in this car and the torque really carries through the gears well with this cam. Its amazing how different this feels than a comparable Wbody with this setup. Driving the car a few times was worthy of a smile doing a few kicks and it pulls very strong through 1st and 2nd gear, havent had a chance to run it much into 3rd yet. A new air box lid was ordered for it and I installed that this evening and was a bit more of a chore than I planned but its on and I will get a chance in the next day or two to do a little wideband tuning and see how it does. It is a stainless steel stamped lid that has the larger round port for the inlet ducting and I can easily see why something like this is favorable over a stock lid. Im sure it was for an LS1 car as the outlet is in the center where the stock 3800 outlet is offset so I had to redo part of the inlet tube but it is finished. I dont have much to go on so this may be common knowledge to you guys, never really paid much attention when local LS1 guys swapped this stuff out. Overall I have to say I am impressed with how well this setup runs and has changed my tune on thoughts of pursuing this more but it is still an expensive upgrade but sure is fun to drive and the responce is amazing. I expected the electronic throttle to irritate me but so far so good and does really well with the cam as far as keeping the idle rpm stable.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldsaddict View Post
                Figured I would post back with an update. The weather finally got a little better here and we put a new set of much needed tires on the car and it drives great. I have put about 60-70 miles on it so far and got a few WOT runs in and wow I have to say it feels good. Its no 12 or 11 second monster but would definately put up a fight with quite a few street cars and I feel as it sits is good for high to mid 13s even with the stock undersized throttle body and stock 3.8" pulley. The broad powerband feels great in this car and the torque really carries through the gears well with this cam. Its amazing how different this feels than a comparable Wbody with this setup. Driving the car a few times was worthy of a smile doing a few kicks and it pulls very strong through 1st and 2nd gear, havent had a chance to run it much into 3rd yet. A new air box lid was ordered for it and I installed that this evening and was a bit more of a chore than I planned but its on and I will get a chance in the next day or two to do a little wideband tuning and see how it does. It is a stainless steel stamped lid that has the larger round port for the inlet ducting and I can easily see why something like this is favorable over a stock lid. Im sure it was for an LS1 car as the outlet is in the center where the stock 3800 outlet is offset so I had to redo part of the inlet tube but it is finished. I dont have much to go on so this may be common knowledge to you guys, never really paid much attention when local LS1 guys swapped this stuff out. Overall I have to say I am impressed with how well this setup runs and has changed my tune on thoughts of pursuing this more but it is still an expensive upgrade but sure is fun to drive and the responce is amazing. I expected the electronic throttle to irritate me but so far so good and does really well with the cam as far as keeping the idle rpm stable.
                Good to hear man. I still think GM should have put this thing in the Fbodys from the factory. What are your supporting fuel mods?

Comment

I would love to see video clips

Comment

Originally posted by Watazz View Post
                    Good to hear man. I still think GM should have put this thing in the Fbodys from the factory. What are your supporting fuel mods?
                    I don't think Gm would have considered it. Think about it why would you invest in a V6 that can be capable to keep up with an Ls1 then your buyers would opt for the more fuel efficient V6 Supercharged than buy a V8.

Comment

Wow! Very impressive. Great work man looks amazing! I would also love to see some vids.
                      3M MAFIA
                      ________
                      | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                      Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by insaneABOT View Post
                        I don't think Gm would have considered it. Think about it why would you invest in a V6 that can be capable to keep up with an Ls1 then your buyers would opt for the more fuel efficient V6 Supercharged than buy a V8.
                        im sure thats exactly why they didnt. I remember seeing an article and them mentioning the same thing lol

Comment

Same thing goes for turboing a 3800 , if they can put out more than a LS1 ,people wouldn't buy them.
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Thanks again guys!

There is a reply I left a page or so back with all the upgrades done to the car but as far as the fuel system I installed a Racetronix W-body fuel pump kit (suggested to use by Racetronix as this is a direct fit for the 3800 cars) and the LS1 style fuel pump hotwire kit. The only difference on the fuel pump kits from what I was told is the LS1 kit has a sleeve on the same pump to make it fit properly. It is a walbro pump that is specific to use with a venture tube setup such as these cars and the Wbody cars. The injectors are factory L67 injectors which do the job for a while until you really start to push the engine or get into the low 13 second range comparably speaking from the Wbody arena. 42s are a good upgrade and give you plenty of head room but I have really favored the 60lb/hr injectors the past few years as they are designed with the disc in the end like the stock injectors and are very easy to tune, not to mention are more than enough injector, idle well, and if you get the itch for E85 they will work well with it.

Sorry no vids, I dont have a camcorder that I can hook up to the pcm other than my digital camera and isnt the best for vids, not really sure what you want vids of other than idling and would rather get some vids at the track to post up when the time comes. Muncie opens early April so I am planning to have the car there as long as the owner is ok with this and wants to take the car and make a few runs with it. I would like to dyno it as it sits also and then when we swap out to a larger throttle body and drop the pulley to see what it is worth which I feel right off the bat will be good for another half second with some tuning to help get the most out of these two upgrades.

Comment

Beech Bend in Bowling Green KY should be open in like 2 weeks.... Just sayin....
                              <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Any update yet?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  3 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X