SC 3.8 Revisited.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC 3.8 Revisited.

A friend's buddy has a supercharged 3.8 for sale for $200 at the same time that my brother bought a Tig welder, and the wheels in my head started spinning.
    I've seen pics of the Holden manifold that relocated the throttle body to one side because of the space limitation. Fabricating a manifold is not an issue, the question is, does this style manifold restrict the intake to the SC too much?
    This is a quick sketch that I did that I would like some comments on.
    Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: SC 3.8 Revisited.

The problem with the M90 blowers is that the throttle body faces the firewall. So your drawing is inaccurate. If you ran it the way you have listed, how would you spin the pulley? It would be on the firewall side in that drawing. You could possibly run a jack shaft setup, but no one has tried on these cars.
    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

I didn't take too much time with the drawing:o. I have the SC intake drawn at the firewall which is where it would be in our cars. I didn't draw the drive section of the SC, which would be at the front. The new manifold would relocate the throttle body to the front, just above or to the right or left of the of the drive pulley.

Comment

I've cleaned up the pic a little. Have another look at it.
        Attached Files

Comment

So whos going to be doing the work on your LIM/UIM to make this work? I probably shouldnt even comment on this because these pics look like nothing to me and im completely lost how you plan on making this blower fit on your RWD 3.8. I've followed an m90 build on another site, and im going to say save the 200 bucks and buy a PD unit

Comment

Why the redundancy of running the "manifold" on both sides of the blower. You just need one.
            <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

I haven't taken any measurements in the engine bay yet as to how much room there is between the firewall and SC flange. I may need 2 manifolds to increase airflow, if the space is tight. I need to have a look at an M90's intake flange. I could cut and re-weld the flange further back to make more room for the intake manifold .

Comment

Look at the other people that have done it. Seems like you HAVE to cut and modify the blower.

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
                  So whos going to be doing the work on your LIM/UIM to make this work? I probably shouldnt even comment on this because these pics look like nothing to me and im completely lost how you plan on making this blower fit on your RWD 3.8. I've followed an m90 build on another site, and im going to say save the 200 bucks and buy a PD unit
                  I'll use the LIM from the SC motor and will fabricate the upper myself.
                  The only cost to me would be $200 for the motor and my time. I'm an industrial mechanic and have access to a lot of tools and equipment. This is a hobby after all.

Comment

I like the concept - BUT - the alternator and coil packs are in the way of your twin intakes. That is why the Holden comes forward on the drivers side, and has the coils relocated.
                    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by Rhunadan View Post
                      I'll use the LIM from the SC motor and will fabricate the upper myself.
                      The only cost to me would be $200 for the motor and my time. I'm an industrial mechanic and have access to a lot of tools and equipment. This is a hobby after all.

How you planning to run fuel injectors???

Seems you need to do more research.

Comment

I'm still in the research stage. I'm going to borrow an SC from a friend this weekend to take measurements as to how much material can be removed from the intake. Then I'll know if its really feasible to continue with the research.

Comment

Go over to FTV6, search for a guy named "inferno." He built a M90 camaro. His is by far the best one I have seen, despite there only having been 3 or 4 that have gone around the internet. GM tried to make on using a holden design, a guy named Merlin made one that was decent but he finally gave up on, another guy just cut a hole in the firewall and ran the intake through the cab and made it do 180* turn and come out the engine bay again. Then Inferno did an amazing job on his. You have to make a ~145* turn coming out the back of the supercharger and take it to the passenger side of the car. You have to make a longer thermostat housing hose/neck. Then you have to also deal with the fuel rails, and you have to swap heads over. It is a LOT of work, and really the results arent incredibly worth it. Inferno is trying to sell his kit right now because the motor blew before he could get the thing fully running. For all the pain and work you have to put into it you can easily make a much faster turbo car. You gotta think with a s/c you are only going to run like what? 8lbs of boost? You cant go too more much because you cant run an intercooler with the M90 on our cars b/c we dont have the clearance for it (s/c intercoolers sit UNDER THE S/C). So heat is a big issue.

Once you get into it it is a pretty big pain in the *** and you dont get incredible gains.

Comment

Turbo, turbo, turbo.
                            3M MAFIA
                            ________
                            | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                            Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                            sigpic

Comment

Or a centrifugal blower like RPDRed6 is selling

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X