HID headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID headlights

I have heard of some people taking their sealed beam headlights and drilling them to accept hid bulbs:has anyone tried this or is there a writeup?

Re: HID headlights

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=81804

Not sure how different the sealed beams are between the Camaro and Firebird, but this is all you have to do. If you don't want to do that, then you can buy some sealed beam conversions from eurolamps.com. They just use a clip to retain the bulb, so it is easier to change when it comes time.
    '99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0 - 4300K HID, Some Bolt-ons
    '97 RS - HPTuner, Bolt-ons
    '09 WRX - Aesthetic mods

Comment

The link posted are not HIDs. They are Silverstars.

I think it would be safer to buy the sealed beams from Eurolamps if you are considering HIDs. The reason I say it is safer is that HIDs project light differently than Silverstar halogens and stock housings are not designed to project HID light properly nor aim it properly, so therefore you will blind everyone on the road and you will run oncoming drivers off the road. Projector housings are designed to help focus the light much better. You can buy them from www.eurolamps.com. I just bought a set used for cheap that look stock but are aftermarket for my 8000Ks...

I know of a set of housings available used for $20 if you are interested...

Last edited by phoenix_rising; 12-31-2008, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Those housings you have pictured are not projectors, those are still reflectors like the stock glass housings. These are projectors, and these are what HID's where designed for:

You are correct about the information of the differences though. This method here is the only way to properly retrofit HID's into Firebirds:
        http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/appear...-write-up.html

Any other way of swapping out to HID's is wrong, and unsafe for all other drivers on the road.
        <b>1995 Pontiac Firebird</b> || 3.4L V6

Comment

On my 96' Camaro, my 6000 HID's are in stock housings the fogs and low beams, I haven't had a problem with blinding people. Most the new cars out have blinding headlights that are worse than mine. I just about get blinded everytime I drive at night from someones stock headlights. But I do have headlight covers I can put on if I want to dim the light some.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix_rising View Post
            The link posted are not HIDs. They are Silverstars.
            I realize that. But installing a bulb in a housing isn't any different between the two...
            '99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0 - 4300K HID, Some Bolt-ons
            '97 RS - HPTuner, Bolt-ons
            '09 WRX - Aesthetic mods

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Logger View Post
              I realize that. But installing a bulb in a housing isn't any different between the two...
              True. All I was trying to point out is that HIDs are much more powerful than silverstar halogens and they require some special treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                On my 96' Camaro, my 6000 HID's are in stock housings the fogs and low beams, I haven't had a problem with blinding people. Most the new cars out have blinding headlights that are worse than mine. I just about get blinded everytime I drive at night from someones stock headlights. But I do have headlight covers I can put on if I want to dim the light some.
                sooo true, i actually have 12000k hids on my low beams and they do not blind other drivers,since the housing is not made for it it actually dissipates the light and are not as bright as they should be,and yes other new cars are alot worst at blinding people,so if you want HID's or silverstars(which i have for sale 9006) just pop out your seal beams and put in the new bulbs and seal them with RTV high heat sealant,thats what i have and it works great for me.but then again i believe you have a firebird so it may be different.
                Last edited by Richardcoelho; 01-05-2009, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Richardcoelho View Post
                  sooo true, i actually have 12000k hids on my low beams and they do not blind other drivers,since the housing is not made for it it actually dissipates the light and are not as bright as they should be,and yes other new cars are alot worst at blinding people.
                  The stock housings are reflector housings that reflect the light in many angles and directions. They don't dissipate light. It's just not concentrated in one specific area like projectors.
                  '99 Camaro
                  '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                  '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                    Hello everyone!
                    by Andy H
                    Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • 3.4 slow to go
                    hey there strangers!
                    by 3.4 slow to go
                    been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X