Anyone ever had their head unit drain the battery - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever had their head unit drain the battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever had their head unit drain the battery

So after my double din install I noticed my battery draw is gone. My single din Kenwood I think was bad and ever since I installed it I had a battery drain. Until now I’m thinking it was the problem. Installed the single din Kenwood about 8 years ago and thinking back that’s when I started to get the draw. I let it sit for 2 days without the tender and it started up fine. Now I going to try for 3 days and hopefully I can get it up to a week or more. Before the battery would be dead after 2 days. When I did the double din Kenwood I wired it up the same, so it’s not the wiring. Also with the single din Kenwood, I noticed a loud beeping sound when I turned off the stereo with the car running and the double din doesn’t. So I really think the single din was the problem all along. What do you guys think?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

3 days and still starting fine, going to try and see if 5 days is good and if does I know it was the head unit.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Let the Camaro sit 5 days and still no draw on it ,started right up, so definitely the other stereo. Never heard about a stereo draining the battery but I guess there’s a first for everything. Side note been chasing this draw for 10 years , remembering back 10’years ago I installed the single din Kenwood and that’s when the draw was happening, I remember pulling the stereo and it was wired fine. Wired my double din exactly the same, just 3 wires black, yellow, red so not too much difficultly wiring.
      Last edited by ssms5411; 12-01-2020, 07:46 PM.

Comment

The last time I had a draw it was from the solenoid of the starter. I went through 4 batteries and autozone doesn't want to honor the warranty anymore.

I found out when I smelled something burning when I installed a new battery and from below I saw the solenoid started smoking. I quickly unplugged the battery.

Comment

Wow, that’s scary Edgar, thinking back I had the head unit for 10 years and that’s when I had battery issues, I went through a couple of yellow top Optimas , I used the battery tender for about a year. I’m going to see if I can put one of my fuses back in , I think it’s a 10 amp , before it would blow when I put it in so I’ll see if it still does. Last time I had the fuse in it blew right away so I’ll try it again.
          Last edited by ssms5411; 12-05-2020, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
            Had to get another phone
            by ssms5411
            Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
            1 week ago
          • ssms5411
            Leaking front cover
            by ssms5411
            So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
            2 weeks ago
          • transamtom1
            Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
            by transamtom1
            Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X