Probability of code P1651 being PCM related? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probability of code P1651 being PCM related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probability of code P1651 being PCM related?

Alright, since when I bought the car last year, the car always had the ses light on. I bought a scanner to see what codes were, and the only one that I would get is P1651, which states something like "fan relay #1 Control Circuit" on my scan tool. After searching the internet for any leads, i found the usual check wiring, relays and other basic fixes, which didn't solve the problem. I installed my own manual switch for the fans which works just as expected with a hi/off/low setup. This makes me think that the wiring is fine on the power and relay/ control side, leaving the PCM as the last thing to check. What do you guys think?

Couple things:

1) did you try replacing the fan relays?
    2) if yes to above, did you try removing the fan relay and jumping the power with a wire to eliminate faulty relays?
    3) do both fans not turn on if you command them or only one?
    4) did you try pulling the fans and jumping power to the motor directly?

I believe the fans are wired a little wonky. I vaguely remember going through an issue on my ls1 that gave me headaches and caused me to be swapping relays around until I determined 1 fan motor had gone bad on me.

With a fan switch you are bypassing relays and wiring are you not? If both fans work with your switch installed then have your problem is likely from before you have spliced into the the fans back.

Have you ruled out corroded terminals at the relay box?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Ok, i finally had sometime to wrench and here is what I found
      1. I switched around all the existing relays within the car and there were no different results with any of them
      2. jumping the relays with a wire turned the fans on as well
      3. if you mean with the manual switch, i can get one, or both, fans to turn on
      4. both fans spin up fine with 12v applied
      The way I wired up my switch is by forcing the relays to ground out, thereby turning on the fans (just like Shoe box's and Firebirdgt's method). I really don think that the fans can be blamed here... the last thing i could try is to pull out the wiring harness, but I don't have any other electrical problem at the moment, so I really don't want to pull it out.

Comment

Unfortunately, I found my problem... the pins in the PCM became corroded and one pin in particular actually broke off and is now lodged in the connector. how can I clean that out now?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_130136.jpg
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1573741
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_125843.jpg
Size:	1,013.2 KB
ID:	1573739Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_125847.jpg
Size:	921.2 KB
ID:	1573740

Comment

Wow, their in pretty bad shape, I would get another pcm and harnesses. About all you can do to save it. I never seen one that bad, but I live in AZ so don't get bad weather or stuff rusting. Lets see what others say about it.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Are you missing a seal on that pcm connector? Water is getting in there and corroding that out. Only a matter of time until you likely have some more issues.

A paper clip can be used to pop the connectors out if I remember correctly. You could try popping them out and even taking a pic of the connector pin and go to a dedicated electronic surplus store to see if they have them. If they do I would clean it if you can, or snip the wire as close as you can to the connector and replace it with a new one and put it back together.

I would also check junkyards and car-part.com for another harness as it may be less of a headache to replace it.

If you can grab one for 20-30$ it may be worth it. That being said the harness is routed snaked around the whole engine.

Comment

A soft wire brush may help clean the terminals

Comment

Hmm... there is one seal per connector already installed on the harness connector , so i should at least replace them. the harness seemed to be in good shape, so I took it apart and cleaned it with alcohol and a small brush it hardly seemed to have been damaged by the same corrosion. The PCM, on the other hand, is junk, so bye-bye 96 PCM and hello 97 PCM. The last thing on my to-do list would be to buy or borrow HPTuners and change the fan temperature parameters.

Comment

With Hptuners you can also delete the code, you already have a fan switch so you should be good.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to get another phone
                    by ssms5411
                    Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                    1 week ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Leaking front cover
                    by ssms5411
                    So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • transamtom1
                    Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                    by transamtom1
                    Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X