electrical problems have me stumped

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical problems have me stumped

While yes this is with my LS1 a lot of the way the electrical system works is the same for all F-bodies...so here is my situation and hoping someone has some ideas or things I can test:

The car is a 2002 LS1 Camaro

After installing a new set of Spec D tuning ebay headlight to replaced my broken factory ones, I was aiming the headlights on the car with the engine off and boom after about 30 minutes the car is completely dead in an instant - to the point not even the interior lights flip on...ok that's maybe to be expected.

I boost the car and the battery cables smoke a little bit and get hot as hell...weird...car starts and ends up dying at idle about 5-10 minutes later...no biggie, pull it in the driveway and put the trickle cell charger on it. Battery goes from "dead" and zero response from electronics to showing 100% charged in about 10 minutes...weird but whatever ok... cars sits for 2 weeks and still fires up...when driving the volts seem to be dropping into the red area of the gauges.

Sooo.. I grab the voltmeter and I verify after letting the car sit over night - battery shows 12.4 volts across the terminals.

Key on engine running it was showing 13.1-13.3 volts...so I believe the alternator to be junk. Call the scrap yard and pick up a truck alternator as a replacement and pop that in... start the car up and it shows 13.8 volts...after a drive and a retest it shows 13.1-13.3 volts at idle...if you rev the car in neutral I drop to about 11.xx volts above 3,500 rpm. If I enter the highway and go WOT by the time I hit 80mph my check gauges light is on and I am buried in the red on the volt gauge.

So I think maybe it is the exciter wire- pull that plug off this morning and I got 9.78 volts going to that plug with the engine running and it unplugged from the alternator.

So I am stumped...battery shows good, exciter wire I think is good, they tested the alternator and said it was good? What the heck could be wrong?
    sigpic

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro
    1996 3800 camaro- Gone - still the fastest N/A Canadian 3.8L F-body
    V6 best: 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

My Current Build | Synthetic Oil | Videos

I don't know Mike, mine stays in the 13's even with the 3 big wire upgrades and 200 amp DB altenator, but never had it fall into the red while driving. Your grounds good?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods ,see Homepage. GT35R Turbo http://www.cardomain.com/ride/244123...vrolet-camaro/

Comment

They look good ....maybe I'll try and hunt them a little more this weekend.

Yours probably shows 13 on your gauge inside the car- but what is it showing with an voltage meter on your batter terminals?
      sigpic

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
        They look good ....maybe I'll try and hunt them a little more this weekend.

Yours probably shows 13 on your gauge inside the car- but what is it showing with an voltage meter on your batter terminals?
        No it shows on my Aeroforce scanner, ill check it with a volt meter.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods ,see Homepage. GT35R Turbo http://www.cardomain.com/ride/244123...vrolet-camaro/

Comment

My aeroforce gauge shows the same- but I notice about a .3-.5v discrepancy between my aeroforce and volt meter.

I just ordered a new exciter wire and ironically found my old one from the v6 about 12 hours later... so I spliced that in and the voltage seems to have come up some.

I am now looking at 13.48-13.53v while idling after a drive with the fans on and about 13.63-13.65 idling when the fans turn off... I still have the voltage dropping at WOT but not quite as bad... found my old exciter wire had 3 of the 7 copper strands broken.

I tried unplugging the “ebay headlights” to see if they are the culprit and saw no change in voltage with the voltmeter.

I am now going to look at all of the grounds when the car cools off- I can see the ground strap from the driver side behind the alternator has some green corrosion on it in the center of the strap, so I will trace it down and maybe run a new 4 gauge wire to that location... hopih this may conclude as a ground issue and I get lucky
          sigpic

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro

Comment

Good to hear.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X