BCM issue? Im stumped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCM issue? Im stumped

When I have had bcm issues in the past, I have never had these symptoms...mind you I didn't have power anything or a security system (security light isn't staying on though)

Alright- I don't even know where to begin searching for this one and it has me stumped.

So this happened about a week ago and again today, only worse and leaving me stranded.

Car is a 2002 LS1 Camaro A4

Issue is:

I go to start the car and it immediatly doesn't idle, it dies, fire it up, rev it up, same thing (sounds and runs great, but just straight dies with no throttle applied)

ok cool- go to start it again, now all I get is a click and it wont turn over, ok, turn the key off, go to turn it back on and now absolutely nothing- gauges dont sweep, no lights, no windows, no door locks- acts like a total dead battery

Ok- pull the key out of the ignition entirely and wait...as I wait, I all of a sudden I get a half sweep with the gauges and the seatbelt light comes on and stays lit up

during this period, key fob doesnt work nor does anything electrical (locks, radio, etc)...wait 5-10 minutes- put the key in and turn to run and everything is functional as if there is no issues...go to start it and all I get is a click like it has a dead starter.

Now for the super loop...I finally do get it to start and there is a loud whinning coming from the fuel pump area inside the car, the car still refuses to idle without the throttle being depressed. Car dies and repeat all over again....

Is this a BCM issue? In my 96 when I had a bcm issue I had trouble with the radio working when it wanted to- I haven't had any of those intermittent symptoms with this car, and I certainly never had any idle/running issues like this from a BCM before...

I'm stumped?

EDIT: Here is a video of what is going on

http://youtu.be/wYuRYHBpKd8
    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 11-04-2014, 09:30 PM.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: BCM issue? Im stumped

To me it sounds like its going in security mode, is the key worn at all? Maybe try a new key. Do you have Hptuners for it? If so can you turn the vats off.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
      To me it sounds like its going in security mode, is the key worn at all? Maybe try a new key. Do you have Hptuners for it? If so can you turn the vats off.
      I tried both keys one of which has rarely ever been used.

Hp tuners cant help me right now either- i have a total dead scenario where I have zero power to anything in the car- its as if I dont even have a battery now

Comment

I take it no codes, I guess I would try a new bcm after you double check the battery , maybe it really is going dead.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Check for bad ground wires and connections. I once had a bad ground from the battery to the block. The wire was corroded under the insulation so I couldn't see it from the outside. Use a set of jumper cables temporarily from the battery ground to the block and from the battery ground to the chassis. Of course battery is in good condition.

Comment

Now I am starting to wonder about a bad ground

The battery is brand new as of 2 weeks ago, but I got in the car again yesterday and the security light was flashing rapidly and making a dead battery clicking type noise.

I through the charger on it and it immediately read "reconditioning" indicating the battery is in poor shape... then after about 5 minutes, it showed 80% full- I got in the car and it fired up but didn't want to hold an idle <<< this still confuses me.

After about 8 startup attempts she fires up no problem and holds idle. I tried about another 10 times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke then took it on a hard ride around the area.

She was completely fine for the drive and laid rubber no problem...I get back, toss the charger on, and it is reading "low" but she fires up no problem

Now I am beyond stumped... I undid the terminals on the battery and they look good and honestly, the car is in damn good shape, so it doesn't look like anything really has corrosion on it.

I'm going to clean up a few ground points today, but nothing looks bad at all??

Comment

Sounds like maybe the alternator isn't charging the battery. I would check that also.

Comment

Sounds like maybe the alternator isn't charging the battery. I would check that also.
                Just checked and the alternator is charging at almost 15volts so its good... Im so confused right now

Comment

Maybe it is a bad battery, I would have it load tested and if its bad take it back to where you bought it and get another one. Wouldn't be the first bad battery sold.

Comment

Maybe it is a bad battery, I would have it load tested and if its bad take it back to where you bought it and get another one. Wouldn't be the first bad battery sold.
                    Did the load test as well and it passed

I have started taking off the grounds and cleaning them- seems like there is some oxidation on the smaller grounds under the hood atleast... Im hoping that is what it is... Its just hard to tell as the problem shows up when it wants then just leaves you pure stranded

Comment

ignition switch causes funky things like that. and batteries can test good and be bad. or even test good then immediately test bad. symptoms sound like a bad battery or connection to me.

Comment

well it's running again...for now... I'm throwing a high voltage O2 code...so Im weary...

Comment

Bumping this...Here is what the car is doing

http://youtu.be/wYuRYHBpKd8

I've tried resoldering the 5 points on the BCM with no luck
                          Last edited by LETZRIDE; 11-04-2014, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                            Hello everyone!
                            by Andy H
                            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                            2 weeks ago
                          • 3.4 slow to go
                            hey there strangers!
                            by 3.4 slow to go
                            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                            2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X