V6 to LS1 swap, is changing the VIN necessary to pass emissions? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V6 to LS1 swap, is changing the VIN necessary to pass emissions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 to LS1 swap, is changing the VIN necessary to pass emissions?

I did a V6 - V8 swap on my Firebird. But I have a strange problem.

The emissions station cannot read my PCM at all.

Autozone, O'Riely's and Advanced Auto have absolutely NO TROUBLE with reading my PCM and its trouble codes.

I do have a trouble code UI000 - The PCM was tuned but I didnt have them change the VIN number to my car VIN, is this necessary?

What should I do to fix this issue? Do I need to tell the emissions station its a V8 car? They will still scan the VIN though so what will happen?

I'm in Atlanta Georgia btw.
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Re: V6 to LS1 swap, is changing the VIN necessary to pass emissions?

Which PCM are you using the V6 or V8 pcm?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
      Which PCM are you using the V6 or V8 pcm?
      V8 PCM - I didnt even know you could use the V6 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
        V8 PCM - I didnt even know you could use the V6 PCM
        Yeah your probably right you can't use the v6 pcm. Does Hptuners work on it? I would think you would have to use the Vin off the V8 pcm to use Hptuners and such. Did you use a V8 BCM? I know when I swapped to a V8 steering column I had to use the V8 BCM with it. Just throwing out ideas.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Didn't change the BCM

Comment

After thinking about it I don't think you need to change the BCM , I think its just for the Vats in the steering column , so I think your good using the same BCM.

Comment

It is possible the emissions station needs to see the VIN in the PCM.Or they can't read the PCM because of the VIN/operating system mismatch. Once you change the VIN in the PCM to the V6 VIN , HPT will not let you tune that PCM any longer. You will get a operating system/VIN mismatch message because of the V6 VIN and LS operating system.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                It is possible the emissions station needs to see the VIN in the PCM.Or they can't read the PCM because of the VIN/operating system mismatch. Once you change the VIN in the PCM to the V6 VIN , HPT will not let you tune that PCM any longer. You will get a operating system/VIN mismatch message because of the V6 VIN and LS operating system.
                If I did change the VIN to the V6 VIN would that also prevent an emissions station from reading the PCM? Or only prevents anyone from tuning it?

So it sounds like the emissions station is using the V6 VIN to try to pull up LS1 VIN specific information? If this is the case then changing to V6 VIN may not work because its still an LS Operating system and they may still not beable to read it?
                Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-16-2013, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
                  If I did change the VIN to the V6 VIN would that also prevent an emissions station from reading the PCM? Or only prevents anyone from tuning it?

So it sounds like the emissions station is using the V6 VIN to try to pull up LS1 VIN specific information? If this is the case then changing to V6 VIN may not work because its still an LS Operating system and they may still not beable to read it?

It should only stop someone from using HPT to tune it. You would have to ask someone informed at the emissions station what they are scanning for. In MD they only scan for OBDII readiness tests and the VIN in the PCM doesn't matter.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                    It should only stop someone from using HPT to tune it. You would have to ask someone informed at the emissions station what they are scanning for. In MD they only scan for OBDII readiness tests and the VIN in the PCM doesn't matter.
                    Yeah thats the same in AZ , they just do the OBDII readiness.

Comment

do they enter the vin they see in the dash before plugging in? the system may throw an error is you enter a different chassis vin from the PCM vin

Comment

Originally posted by A fireman View Post
                        do they enter the vin they see in the dash before plugging in? the system may throw an error is you enter a different chassis vin from the PCM vin
                        I don't think they do , mine has a different PCM since mine was a 96' M5 and its been running a 97' A4 PCM for about 8 years. So I wouldn't think it would cause a problem unless they do different OBDII tests in different states.

Comment

Just be glad you aren't in California. cause The nazi smog check system would have a field day with this. not to mention the damn state would be trying to make $$$ big time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                            hey there strangers!
                            by 3.4 slow to go
                            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                            7 hours ago
                          • ssms5411
                            Had to get another phone
                            by ssms5411
                            Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                            1 week ago
                          • ssms5411
                            Leaking front cover
                            by ssms5411
                            So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                            2 weeks ago
                          • transamtom1
                            Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                            by transamtom1
                            Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X