OEM vs Aftermarket coil packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM vs Aftermarket coil packs

So I'm gonna be redoing my ignition system (coil packs, custom plug wires, plugs) and was wondering why most people suggest OE replacement coil packs instead of aftermarket? I was planning on going all MSD, but am going back and forth on the coil packs. Opinions?
    aka FreedStyle
    Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
    2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Re: OEM vs Aftermarket coil packs

Gm coils are great. They are efficient and extremely reliable. There is very little to be gained by going to MSD and seem to be more prone to issues. Not saying they are bad, just not worth the extra money. Quite frankly, unless you are having coil issues, there is absolutely no reason to replace the factory coils at all, even with GM replacements.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I've always heard OE is the way to go, I think MSD's have a tendency to fail, but I have no experience myself. I've only replace mine from some junkyard oem pullouts and never had problems ;) I do have msd wire though, just the streetfire cut-to-length ones. And I'd go with ngk tr55 plugs, a lot of people run them and like them including myself.
      auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
      15.11@91.14
      Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

I had two of the orignal coil packs on my car go bad about 3 months apart. I replaced them with MSD's, havent had a problem since. That was years ago.
        Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
        Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
        Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
        Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
        Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

I always thought OEM were the best but it seems MSD fixed their problems with their coils so it looks like its a toss up on which to get, my stock coils have been good for 70,000 miles so I can't complain about OEM coils.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
            I always thought OEM were the best but it seems MSD fixed their problems with their coils so it looks like its a toss up on which to get, my stock coils have been good for 70,000 miles so I can't complain about OEM coils.
            Yeah it seems like either you have real good luck with factory coils or you have really bad luck. Doesnt make a whole lot of sense does it. Oh well i just considermyself one of the unlucky ones as far as stock coils are comcerned.
            Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
            Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
            Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
            Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
            Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

So based on what you guys have said so far, and this thread from SixShooter a couple of months ago, it sounds like a decision of how much money you want to spend? I would have liked to keep with the MSD theme, but stock coils would be cheaper if there is little to no performance/reliability to be had by going aftermarket.
              aka FreedStyle
              Chaddrich Freed

Comment

i'm not sure if there is any gain even with a stronger coil unless you need a stronger coil.... (forced induction-blow out) or decided to gap your plugs bigger.
                you'll have better performance, just getting new coils if you'rs are worn though.

Comment

If you have money, go for it. I'm using ebay ones...

Comment

I think I've come to the decision to stick with OEM coils. I'll still need to go with the MSD 8.5mm wires custom cut to work with my headers, but with there being no significant benefit to run aftermarket coils, it looks like it's just a waste of money in a way. Thanks guys, I appreciate all the helpful feedback!
                    aka FreedStyle
                    Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Rockauto.com has coils ranging from $15 to $43, any significant reason not to buy the cheap ones?

Comment

Aside from the coils is there any reason to go with an aftermarket ICM, like a Delphi? Mine is going bad, or at least that is the next step in the diagnosis. And does the Coil Interface Block and anything? I'm used to working older chevys and i had a great MSD set up on a 383, just not sure if there is any advantaged to using them on my bird.

Comment

Stock are very good, no need to upgrade unless you want to spend the extra for them.
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Thanks. So no need for the Interface block either?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottieDont View Post
                              Thanks. So no need for the Interface block either?
                              No need for it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X