Need your help with my power window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your help with my power window

I'm just no good with electrical stuff. Actually I'm retarded when it comes to wires.

OK, my 89 bird came with a manual window and there's now an after market installed power window device. It hasn't worked for 7 years and I'm trying to get it working again.

Alright I got the wires all connected to the switch and now I'm trying to put thru. the fuse that say WDO (I assume it means Window) on a Fuse Box.

Ok, so I have 2 white wires I assume these will be the ones going to the Fuse Box on WDO right? Now do I combine these 2 wires into 1 and connect it?

The 2 red wires are for battery right? Do I just pick any red wires inside my dash and connect it to it by cutting off part of the wire cover and then cover it with electrical tape?

The 2 black wires are for grounds. Do I do the same thing as I did for red wires by looking for black wires?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by 2.8 Bird; 03-03-2012, 04:46 AM.

Re: Need your help with my power window

Definitely not a good idea to just splice into anything you can find. Splicing power off another circuit will more than likely overload said circuit, and constantly blow fuses, or worse, melt wires. Without seeing the kit, the color of the wires doesn't necessarily mean anything. If you're sure the white wires are the fused wires, it will need a closed circuit to function. So you'll need to connect one of the white wires to one side of a fuse, and the other to the other side of the fuse. Do not just combine them, this will bypass the fuse, which is not good.

Like I said, without seeing the kit, colors don't necessarily mean much, but I would guess that you are currently wiring a relay, in which case there might be a thinner and thicker black/red wire set and you would take the thinner (higher gauge) to the switch, and run the lower gauge (bigger) to the battery, power distribution stud, or alternator (for red). The black can go to any good ground (stud or bolt into large metal surface directly bolted to the body or sub frame) on the car, but you'll probably find the best ones under the hood.

Do you have any kind of schematic? Either paper or maybe labels on the wires, or pictures from the wires origins to help with wiring?
    Last edited by TheGr8Schlotzky; 03-03-2012, 12:18 PM.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Re: Need your help with my power window

Thank you for your input. You convinced me to just take it to a shop and let them do it.

I opened up all the interior panels and exposed all the wires and fuse box. I found the wires for the window and radio and they were cut completely. I thought they were just disconnected.

Your right I don't want to gamble since I finally got the fusible link and MAF issue fixed already. Might as well let the pros do finish it up for me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
        Hello everyone!
        by Andy H
        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
        3 weeks ago
      • 3.4 slow to go
        hey there strangers!
        by 3.4 slow to go
        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X