Factory car alarm & key fob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory car alarm & key fob

Hello Board, new member, long time Camaro owner/lover. I have a question regarding the key fob/remote for the alarm. My car is a 97 RS, 3.8 with a 5 speed. My alarm is not working but the light does flash and the alarm did go off once when I unlocked the door on the passenger side from the inside and opened the door. It has not done it since. I don't use the key fob because it isn't programed to the car I believe. Is there a place to go to find out how to program the key fob or is there someone here that can tell me. Also did the key fob lock and unlock the doors on a 97 RS? Thanks in advance for any help. Have a great holiday. ................TIM

Re: Factory car alarm & key fob

Dealer did mine. But I think there's instructions on the inside if you take the cover off.

Comment

Do you have the owners´s manual?, it tells you how to program the remote and the alarm system. Also check your RPO codes and they will tell you if you have remote locking etc.

Comment

If I remember right you just pull the radio fuse, turn the switch to run and hold the lock/unlock buttons down at the same time 15-20 sec, the door lock will lock/unlock when it is programmed, put fuse back and your good to go.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I don't have a factory owners manual so that is out, I won't let the dealer do anything because they rob you blind, so I am going to try what fbodyrs96 said to do. Will report back if anything good or bad happens. Have a great new year everybody!!! .................TIM

Comment

OK here it is straight form the owner's manual

Attached Files

Comment

Here´s a link to where you can download a free copy of the Owners Manual

http://shbox.com/pdf/manuals.html

Happy New Year

Cheers

Comment

Hey everybody, I really appreciate all the help on this. I went and did what the instructions said, the car did it;s cycle trip but I couldn't get the key fob to do anything except set off the panic alarm. The batteries are brand new and checked out to be a bit over the 3 volts they are supposed to be, so I am thinking that the fob itself must be the wrong one or it is screwed up somehow. Tried to program both of them with the same outcome. I guess I mught have to go to a "professional" person to find out whats wrong. Thanks again, ............TIM

Comment

The key fobs wear out over time. On mine, first the trunk release stopped working, then the lock button. The unlock button still works about 75% of the time and the panic button still works all the time. No amount of re-programming or fresh batteries have changed this. I had one key fob I rarely used. When I began using that second one as my "regular" fob, everything worked fine. But now that one has been used a lot and it does the same thing.

I believe if you buy and program a new fob, everything will work for you.
                  Last edited by Everglades W68; 01-05-2012, 06:25 AM.
                  I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                  CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                  FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

When the panic button alone works, that a sign of a programmed but un-synced remote. It may be that they are worn out, as I would assume reprogramming would also resync, but it's worth re-syncing. Just get in range of the car and hold the lock and unlock buttons until the car locks and unlocks.
                    sigpic
                    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                      Hello everyone!
                      by Andy H
                      Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • 3.4 slow to go
                      hey there strangers!
                      by 3.4 slow to go
                      been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                      2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X