Projector headlight and halo/halogen fog lamp conversion - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Projector headlight and halo/halogen fog lamp conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projector headlight and halo/halogen fog lamp conversion

We all know that the exterior lighting on our fbody's are horrendous and don't light up the road nearly enough. In an effort to install HID's, I plan to retrofit a 60mm hella projector to my low beam brackets. The projectors can be mounted with a custom mounting plate available on eBay through user "tramsootru." The projectors can be found on rallylights.com for $50 per projector. I of course will be adding an hid setup, in which i will be ordering my set from ddmtuning. My second project will be the removal of thE stock fog lamps and installing hella optilux 2500's. These are actually not meant to be fog lamps, but, if aimed correctly, they are mounted low enough to not bother other drivers. these lamps have an integrated halo, in which I plan to splice into the DRL's, allowing them to run without the fog lamp engaged. I will provide more information and pictures soon, but I figured this may apply to a lot of guys out there looking to upgrade to hid's.

Re: Projector headlight and halo/halogen fog lamp conversion

I'm not sure how the 60mm projectors will work as headlights as I haven't seen them first hand, but I have 90mm projectors on my car with an HID kit and the light output is great, and being projectors, not unsafe for oncoming drivers. Keep us updated.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

3M MAFIA
      ________
      | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
      Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
      sigpic

Comment

Schlotzky, to answer your question on the productivity of the 60mm projectors, they work very well and I am familiar with the 90mm setup made famous by BLS's kit. Unfortunately, I think his system is WAAAAY over priced. In seeking a more practical and cost effective solution, I stumbled upon this thread by "Tramsootru," a trans am owner. Check out this link for a more in depth visual of the setup. I'm currently in the process of gaining all the necessary materials for my project and I will update when I can. Most likely my halo fog lights will be put in first and ill have instructions for mounting and before/after pic's within the next couple weeks.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1476459

Comment

They appear to have quite a nice cutoff and light projection, but I wish he had those fog lights off for the video to really see how much of that is the projectors and how much of it is the fogs.
          sigpic
          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Well I believe during that vid he was using the stock housings so I don't think too much light can be attributed to the fogs.

Comment

They looked pretty nice. IMO the stock fog lights produce very little light. I only use mine if it's dusk and I want to be seen, but not put the headlights up yet, either for wind resistance at highway speeds, or on a very short trip. But as for throwing light so I can actually see, I think they do very little.
              2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Yeah our stock fogs are more for show than anything..so that's why I'm converting to hella 2500's cuz they have great output for a halogen housing and the added halo effect looks great on our v6's IMO. I will have pic's up within the month.

Comment

For those questioning the strength of the hella 60mm projector alone, check this custom vette setup. http://www.smokinvette.com/corvettef...ad.php?t=42563

Comment

I've been looking at those projectors for the past six months and I'm going to do this after Christmas and I get some dough to do it with. I have a buddy who can waterjet the NX drawing once I make it. Once I get stuff going, I'll make a thread in the appearance section.

Comment

Minor update- I ordered all the parts and should have them within the week. I'll post pictures as soon as I get them, and my first setup will be the projectors so stay tuned.

Comment

Finally got the projectors and halo fogs. Installed the projectors with DDM's 50W 6000k HID's and it looked FANTASTIC. Unfortunately, I have a gripe with DDM as the passenger side ballast already blew :mad:. Other than this issue which thankfully will be resolved through the warranty, the kit was legit and looked great with excellent light output. For those thinking about hid's i wouldnt go over 6000k, it gives that slightly blue tint but not enough to compromise visibility in which is clear as daylight. So its going to be a while until I can post pictures because I have to wait for my warrantied ballast to arrive. The halo fogs will be mounted soon, trying to find time between work and my finals since its the end of my semester :cry:. Ill keep ya posted.

Comment

Looking forward to the pictures. I had 6000K in my car for a year or so before switching to 4300K. The 6000K was much too pure white/blue to be very effective on wet asphalt, which is a lot of my driving. They did look nice from a 3rd party perspective, though.
                          sigpic
                          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Hey everyone its been a while I know, but my work is pretty much finished. I dont have a very good camera at the moment but when I get my hands on one I will take all the photo's of the job. For now, I have a teaser video I made with my Iphone so let me know what you think. Again I will try to get pic's up as soon as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KNfK...CiYzSOgMtltvPV

Comment

Dinner's ready :D

I actually just finished mine as well, temporarily. I'll take some pictures and post em up. Probably add them to my lighting thread.

I don't know how you mounted yours, but I'm gonna make a CAD drawing of a bracket that will fit them nicely and I'll ask my buddy to waterjet a pair for me.

I still need to aim mine correctly, but once I get some pictures, I'll post mine as well.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X