Ordered Conversion Lights for Firebird. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ordered Conversion Lights for Firebird.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered Conversion Lights for Firebird.

Its pretty common knowledge the headlight systems on the 4 headlight Firebirds is not too good. I often drive before the sun rises, and after sunset, especially in the winter months. So I finally decided to get a set of conversion lights. After reading dozens of posts about conversions from Eurolights.com, highperformancebulbs.com, and LMCtruck.com, on many different websites, I decided to go with the LMC conversions. They got the best reviews, and when compared to Eurolights and highperformancebulbs, its obvious they are a better designed and built product.

Also read a few posts on different forums about modifying stock headlights to take halogen bulbs. But the result was never reviewed as being sa big change from stock. And there is the silicone sealing, etc every time a bulb burns out.

Unlike the other two conversions that take H7 bulbs, the LMC lights take 9005/9006 bulbs. After I get the housings (which come with plain clear halogen bulbs) a set of HID low beams are going to be ordered to fit the housings. This has been reviewed as an outstanding combination.

Also plan on changing the high beam bulb to an 80 watt 9005, and that is well within the wire harness capacity. This mod has been given a thumbs up by a few forums too.

The nice thing about the LMC housings is that they are an aluminum casting with "semi-hardened" glass lense that is NOT fluted. So the beam is clear and sharp, not difused. The the high and low housings are different, where the other brands use the same housing for both. LMC is also DOT approved, where the others do not claim a DOT approval.

So after they come, I'll post some before and after pics.

Anyone here use the LMC headlamps on their 'bird?
    Last edited by Mark42; 12-23-2010, 10:49 AM.

Re: Ordered Conversion Lights for Firebird.

sorry to hi jack, but would these fit in the 93-97 Camaro headlight housings?

It seems the firebird 98-02 headlights are similar in design and size? am I wrong?

Thanks and can't wait to see your install pics.
    1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
    1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
    1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by truekoa View Post

It seems the firebird 98-02 headlights are similar in design and size? am I wrong?

Don't know. But your Camaro takes a H4351/H4351 bulb if I checked correctly. Look at the LMC catalog at all the Chevy/GMC/Ford/Dodge trucks that they offer the conversion housings for and if one takes the same sealed beam bulb, you are set. Unfortunately, LMC does not list the headlamp by model number, just by year of vehicle. So you have to do the headlight lookup and cross reference on the truck yourself.

Here is the catalog link: http://www.lmctruck.com/euro-headlights.htm

Here is a good link to check the headlamp used by most vehicles: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lacementGuide/

Comment

Here are photos comparing the LMC to the EuroLamp housings (I jacked this from another site):

The LMC is on the left. Notice the difference in the lenses, and that the LMC Low has an internal reflector, the lHigh beam does not. So these housings are specific to the high and low beam needs. The Eurolamp housings use the same for high and low, and have no reflector .

Last edited by Mark42; 12-23-2010, 01:13 PM.

Comment

pretty sure BigAir put up an entire thread about this specific setup --- i'll see if i can track it down. it turned out very well for him.

bigair, chime in broseph!
          pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
          gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

merry xmas, sir:

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=100922
            pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
            gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Originally posted by truekoa View Post

No. To get HID's to work correctly in our 93-97 camaro housings you have to either swap in those ugly round projectors (just look wrong on our cars) or you have to put a cap on the end of the HID bulbs. The latter is what I did to mine and they work beautifully.

Comment

Originally posted by skimphish View Post
                No. To get HID's to work correctly in our 93-97 camaro housings you have to either swap in those ugly round projectors (just look wrong on our cars) or you have to put a cap on the end of the HID bulbs. The latter is what I did to mine and they work beautifully.
                Yes, you are right. I forgot about the small Camaro headlights, I was thinking of the prior model with quad lights. I bought a Camaro new in 1996 with those stupid lights, and it was frustrating not being able to find a headlight upgrade. And remember, back then the internet is not what it is today. The big rush to open an online store had not come yet, and many people did not even have PC's at home. So we were left to searching retail speed shops like Van Iderstine.

BTW, I built my first PC in 1994 with a whopping 150 mhz processor by Cyrix. But I had a desk top at work since the late 1980's.

Comment

Well within the factory wiring harness's capacity? These harnesses suck, a dual in/out wiring harness is a must for these cars. Stock wiring can not supply enough consistent power for HIDs. Some people say they have no problem, but most do. When I had my bird my HIDs would always flicker on start up (not on my camaro with DDMs witing harness), they would also take unusually long to warm up (about half the time now with the harness). Also i blew ballast once a week. I really reccomend something to help factory wiring.

DDMs wiring harness runs off the battery or as I did, just ran of the AUX power supply, and will make sure you consistently have enough power for your HIDs.

Comment

Really? I have never had any issues. HID's flicker coming on anyways, every set I have seen flicker. Never blown a ballast, never have warming up issues, nothing. I also have the slim ballast kit, so mine warm up much faster than traditional ballast anyways, but it takes maybe 5-7 seconds for them to be at their full intensity.

Comment

Really? I have never had any issues. HID's flicker coming on anyways, every set I have seen flicker. Never blown a ballast, never have warming up issues, nothing. I also have the slim ballast kit, so mine warm up much faster than traditional ballast anyways, but it takes maybe 5-7 seconds for them to be at their full intensity.
                      Same here - no problems after over 6 months.

Mark, I replied in the thread that Baller posted (thanks brah).

Comment

Oh yeah, Ive been running HIDs for almost a year now. Got them from HIDNY.com. For the fogs Im going to get them from DDM since they are cheaper.

Comment

Oh yeah, Ive been running HIDs for almost a year now. Got them from HIDNY.com. For the fogs Im going to get them from DDM since they are cheaper.
                          I see 880 HID kits on DDM, and they look nice. Do people run these 35 watt 880 kids in the base Firebird fog lights or are they too hot for the plastic housings?

BTW, I placed the order for the LMC eurolights this morning around 10 am EST, and by this afternoon the status was shipped and I have a UPS tracking number. Should be here on the 29th, so they will be installed on the 30th with the supplied halogen bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark42 View Post
                            I see 880 HID kits on DDM, and they look nice. Do people run these 35 watt 880 kids in the base Firebird fog lights or are they too hot for the plastic housings?
                            I haven't had any problems with the housings melting yet, but they blind the **** out of people because there is no cap. I've been flashed a few times and then I turn the fogs off. If I could put a cap on it, I would. Anyone wanna show us how? :)

Comment

35watt wont melt anything. even the 55watt wont melt our housings. but 55 watt is just over kill.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X