LED Interior Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Interior Swap

Got all the LED's I needed for my birthday recently.
    Did the Gauge Cluster, both doors, HVAC, Headlight switch, Map lights, dome light and shifter light.

Also, did my license plate light a little while ago.
    If anybody wants a list of what I used, just let me know and I'll post up the specific numbers.

Pics were kind of crappy due to low exposure.

camaro LED light swap

camaro LED interior light swap

camaro LED interior light swap

camaro LED dash light swap
    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 01-18-2020, 01:01 PM.

Re: LED Interior Swap

5. Camaro led light swap interior

6.Camaro led light swap dash
    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 01-18-2020, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Wow that dash looks pretty damn good! +1

Comment

Holy **** that's bright. That looks awesome man.

Comment

Yeah, that was a little brighter than I was expecting. Looks good though. Do the led's on the dash respond the same to the dimmer as compared to the old bulbs?

Comment

Thanks a lot man. You just made me want to spend more money on another project. You suck!

All kidding aside, your car is awesome! Thanks for the pics.

Comment

Looks great. Post up a parts list if you wouldn't mind. I've been contemplating this project for a while but was afraid it wouldn't be bright enough.
              Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Not only parts, but a write up also! I definitely want to give this a shot.

Comment

Wow that's epic looks amazing.
                  Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
                  1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
                  1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
                  2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

I thought mine looked good, but damn! lol.
                    3M MAFIA
                    ________
                    | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                    Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by techsan23 View Post
                      Yeah, that was a little brighter than I was expecting. Looks good though. Do the led's on the dash respond the same to the dimmer as compared to the old bulbs?
                      They aren't as bright in person, the exposure of the camera does make they seem brighter, but they are brighter than stock.
                      I have heard that they do work with the dimmer switch, but mine seem to be either on or off.

Originally posted by youngsc View Post
                      Looks great. Post up a parts list if you wouldn't mind. I've been contemplating this project for a while but was afraid it wouldn't be bright enough.
                      Thanks!
                      As far as parts, bought all of my LED's at superbrightleds.com

Gauge Cluster-
                      WLED-xHP6
                      http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b.../wled-whp6.htm

Door lights, HVAC, and Auto Tranny Gear Selector
                      74-xHP3
                      http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...s/74-xHP3.html

Dome Light (above rear seats)
                      Rigid Festoon Loop (RL4410-xHP9)
                      http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...L4410-xHP9.htm

Map Lights
                      4410-x9 Festoon Bulb
                      http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...on_4410-x9.htm

LED License Plate
                      WFLB24 series 24-LED Waterproof Flexible Light Bar
                      http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...specs/WFLB.htm

How many of what bulbs I used
                      5- WLED-xHP6 in Cool White (Gauge Cluster. These will only do the speedo, tach, temp, oil, battery and fuel.)
                      2- WLED-xHP6 in Green (Turn signals, if wanted. I did not do this.)
                      1- WLED-xHP6 in Blue (High beams, if wanted. I did not do this.)
                      5- 74-xHP3 in Cool White (1 for each door, 2 for HVAC, 1 for Gear indicator
                      1- Rigid Festoon Loop (RL4410-xHP9) (for Dome Light)
                      2- 4410-x9 Festoon Bulb (for Map lights)
                      1- WFLB24 series 24-LED Waterproof Flexible Light Bar (for License Plate Light)

Originally posted by killerloop View Post
                      Not only parts, but a write up also! I definitely want to give this a shot.

I will go in order of how I went with the bulbs.

First and foremost, disconnect your battery.

Gauge Cluster

-First, take off the bottom kick panel on the drivers side. 2 7mm bolts on the bottom, 2 Phillips head screws at the top, and unplug the hatch release button. Put the kick panel to the side
                      -Take off two 7mm bolts on top of gauge cluster bezel. BE CAREFUL OF THE CLEAR LENS. It does scratch easily. Once the two bolts are out, you pull the bezel out. There are 4 retaining clips on the bottom of the bezel that will come out with it. You may need to finagle the bezel to get it around the steering wheel. Tilting the steering wheel all the way down helps.
                      -Take out 4 7mm bolts around the gauge cluster. These are what's holding the cluster in. They are located at all 4 corners of the cluster.
                      -Then, pull the cluster out towards you. You need to take the cluster off of the electrical connection in the back. It will take a little force, but not too much. There are NO wires back there, so don't worry about that. The cluster gave me the hardest time getting out. Using 2 people helped the best. As I was taking the cluster out, my father held the steering wheel all the way down (past the last tilt stop) and held the tilt lever back. If you can get the tilt lever out that would help alot, but I couldn't get mine out. I believe it just screws out, but mine wouldn't budge.
                      -After you get the cluster out, flip it over and you will see 8 twist lock connections. You will be replacing 5 if you follow what I got. The bottom two in grey need to be replaced (This will do temp, oil, battery and fuel) and then 3 more. Unfortunately I don’t remember which ones they were, but it was a lot of guess and check, which was a pain.
                      -When you take the twist locks out, you will see the incandescent bulbs. People have had problems getting the bulbs out, so what I did was wrap a microfiber cloth around a pair of pliers to take out the bulbs. I did not break a single bulb this way.
                      -Put LED’s in where the incandescent bulbs were. They are not polarized, so they will work in any way.
                      -Put cluster back in, push it back into the electrical connection and MAKE SURE your LED’s are in the right place before you start to put the bezel and kick panel back on.

Doors, HVAC and Gear Selector (Auto’s)

*IMPORTANT!!!*
                      Do NOT start to put together the doors, HVAC and center console until you are done replacing ALL of these lights with LED’s. These LED’s ARE polarized, so they only work ONE WAY in the bulb assembly. When you reconnect your battery and test your lights, if any of the LED’s don’t work, reverse them in the bulb assembly.

-Doors
                      -Pop out the door lock/widow switch bezel with a flathead screwdriver
                      -Take out the two Phillips screws on the door handle bezel.
                      -Finagle the bezel enough so you can twist out the bulb assembly.
                      -Take out the bulb using a microfiber cloth around a pair of pliers. Replace bulb with LED.

-HVAC
                      -Pop off the bezel surround the radio and HVAC knobs. It just pops off when you pull on it. Unclip the fog light switch and SGS switch.
                      -Take out 2 7mm bolts around HVAC controls.
                      -Untwist the 2 bulb assemblies in the HVAC control unit. They are on the top on the unit.
                      -Take out bulbs using a microfiber cloth and a pair of pliers, replace with LED’s.

Gear selector (Auto’s only)
                      -Put keys in, move to ignition, put car in neutral. It just helps so that way you can move the center console up more so you can gain access to the bulb assembly. Make sure to pull the E-Brake.
                      -Open up center console, take out coin tray. Take out 2 7mm bolts.
                      -Find the bulb assembly, twist it out. Take out bulb using microfiber cloth and pliers. Replace with LED.

Dome Light
                      -Unscrew 2 Phillips screws, unplug electrical connection so that way you have the whole assembly in your hands.
                      -Take out old bulb, replace with rigid festoon bulb. It will take some finagling to get it in there, you might have to bend the connections a little like I did.
                      -Put electrical connection back together, put the light back up.

Map lights
                      -Taking off the plastic light diffusers is a CAREFUL process. There is a side that you can fit a small flathead screwdriver so you can take these diffusers off, but you have to take it easy for the tabs can break easily. I have heard people using dental floss to take ‘em off, but it didn’t work for me.
                      -Once you do get the diffusers off, take out the old blubs, replace with LED bulbs and make sure the LED’s are facing downward.
                      -Pop diffusers back on.

Connect your battery back up and see the light show! See what does and doesn’t work and switch it around.

I tried to replace the headlight switch light, but I have to work on it some more.
                      Last edited by Crazed98Camaro; 07-12-2010, 10:43 PM.

Comment

god thats a lot more bulbs than i bought, that must have cost a fortune. looks sick tho.
                        i switched mine to red a while back, and i love them.

camaro dash led light swap
                        Last edited by LETZRIDE; 01-18-2020, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Well, that's one more thing im gonna do. after the oil pan and gasket, and figure out why my lights in the dash wont work, lol.

Comment

that looks Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

What was the cost for this aprox? and where is that camaro thing from the lit up letters?
                              Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
                              1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
                              1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
                              2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 hours ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X