X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New "setup" for Firebirds

Originally posted by bigairboarder44 View Post
    Nice install Mark :tup:
    Thanks! I still have to paint those brackets either black or red.

This weekend I did get the fog lights installed (finally!) . They are a huge improvement over the stock 880 halogen bulb. Bought the 880 kit, so the stock lamp housings are being used.

One problem was the 880 bulbs would not twist to lock into place, although they did fit the hole properly. Ended up shaving off the square edge on one of the tangs of the bulb base, and a touch of dielectric grease and it went together. Well almost, one bulb did break off one tang that fell inside the housing That's when i got the idea to shave and grease the bulb.. The bulb stays in place, but I think its a tad crooked. have been trying to get a hold of DDMtuning support to get a replacement.

With the low beams and the fogs on, the light pattern is very broad, really lights up the side of the road well. My low beams alone look like BigAir's pics above. With the highs and lows on together the light is crazy bright.

So far other motorists are not flashing, and when I look at my own car from a distance, I can see why. They don't look any brighter or any more blinding than OE projector HID's.

Next mod: Fogs on with high beams. Woodland creatures will be running in fear when they see me coming down these unlit back country roads... :D

Comment

If I read that correctly, you are not running with your fogs on at the moment, right? I would advise "capping" the bulb in some way because there is a lot of glare from the fogs. I had mine on and would get flashed once or twice a night. When I got home I actually stood in front of my car with the lights on and realized that the fog light was scattered everywhere.

In two weeks when I go home for spring break, I plan on capping the bulbs with aluminum foil to see if this will fix the problem. I'll take before/after pictures and post them up.

Comment

Originally posted by bigairboarder44 View Post
        If I read that correctly, you are not running with your fogs on at the moment, right? I would advise "capping" the bulb in some way because there is a lot of glare from the fogs. I had mine on and would get flashed once or twice a night. When I got home I actually stood in front of my car with the lights on and realized that the fog light was scattered everywhere.

In two weeks when I go home for spring break, I plan on capping the bulbs with aluminum foil to see if this will fix the problem. I'll take before/after pictures and post them up.
        Yeah, I notice a small yellowish spot in the center of each fog that should not be there. The halogen are black topped bulbs, so I agree that the HID bulb should be capped too. Plan on using heavy aluminum foil from a disposable "roaster" or baking tray. But I have not been getting flashed.

Just not sure how to attach the foil; use glue or wire tie? Any thoughts?

BTW, I did compare and measure both the 9006/9006 and 880 bulbs to their halogen counterparts. The HID's are designed to put the arc light at the exact same location as the filament in the halogen. I can't figure out why there is a very distince U shape hot spot in both low beams. The highs do no have that, and are non-capped bulbs (just like the halogens). Just wondering if the halogen low actually makes the same hot spot, just not as well defined as the HID ligh???
        Last edited by Mark42; 03-15-2011, 12:10 PM.

Comment

I mounted my ballasts almost in the same spot, I put mine right underneath the spring that the hood hits.
          In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
          2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Ok here are the fogs with the HID bulbs capped with aluminum foil. Unfortunately, I really can't tell a difference between before the caps and after. I guess the next thing is going to projectors... Here are the pictures.

BEFORE:

[Seem to be missing that picture...]

Even though I don't have the before picture at the moment, you can still see how much light gets thrown above the ill-defined cutoff.

AFTER:

HID beam pattern
            Last edited by LETZRIDE; 01-18-2020, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
              Hello everyone!
              by Andy H
              Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
              2 weeks ago
            • 3.4 slow to go
              hey there strangers!
              by 3.4 slow to go
              been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
              3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X