Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alum driveshaft too short?

hello all,

i was getting my new three rivers alum. driveshaft 12564004 installed....i don't have the equipment and stuff to try doing it myself...so i go to pepboys...they are telling me it wont fit, it is an inch too short and stuff.. i did my research before i even got the shaft and i was understanding that all f-body shafts are interchangable...are these guys just b.s.'ing or are they for real? it came off another 4th gen camaro (2002). and anybody offer any input. if they are b.s. what should i tell them?

my camaro is a 1996 y87.

Re: alum driveshaft too short?

the aluminum driveshaft IS a bit shorter, but it will work fine, dont worry about it

edit* are you sure you cant do it yourself?

it takes literally 6 bolts to remove the driveshaft

Comment

you serious im looking into getttin an ls1 driveshaft

Comment

Ive never heard of three rivers driveshafts...
        *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

Mines a 96' Camaro and my GM alm. driveshaft out of a 02' Trans am fit fine, no issues for 9 years now. I think they don't know what there doing at Pep boys. Back in 98' or something like that they told me 255/50/16 tires wouldn't fit on my car because they were too wide for the rear.LOL Left there went to Discount Tire and they put on the 255's without any problems, just lack of experience at Pepboys, guys that no pretty much nothing about cars and learn as they go.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by StrtRacer98 View Post
            Ive never heard of three rivers driveshafts...
            they have made driveshafts for GM cars since the 60's

all stock driveshafts that have came out of an f body will be a three rivers piece

pepboys was right though, the aluminum driveshaft is shorter, but like i said, it will work fine, it was cool of them to actually tell you than just put it on and potentially mess your car up

Comment

why are they an inch shorter anyways? ive never looked into the reasoning but i did notice that it was a bit shorter when i got mine the other day.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
              http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
              Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
                why are they an inch shorter anyways? ive never looked into the reasoning but i did notice that it was a bit shorter when i got mine the other day.
                im not really sure, the t56 and t5 are both the same length

they used a steel driveshaft in the v8 f bodies, correct? i wonder what the length difference between the aluminum and the steel one are.. or if the v6 one piece is the same as the v8 steel one

Comment

im about to swap mine out for a aluminum one, so ill measure them while i have them both out. steel ones were used until 98 then they went to alum.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                  Or this

Comment

im about to swap mine out for a aluminum one, so ill measure them while i have them both out. steel ones were used until 98 then they went to alum.
                    i just looked it up, they did make ls1's with steel driveshafts, all m6 were aluminum and some of the auto's with 3.23 got the steel and all auto 2.78 got a steel one

i have seen some people who randomly have a steel one though

Comment

thanks all for the replies....ya my gut was telling me pep boys is a bad idea to begin with...after i called them on the driveshaft being to short, they gave me another excuse involving the u-joints on the alum. shaft....can't you use the same u-joints from the stock shaft anyways? i thought i remember hearing something like that on these boards. well regardless i am probably not ever going to go there again.

anyways since i this is like my second post and i've been lurking for like the past year i figure i will list my mods i've done so far. as i said its a 1996 camaro y87 m5 with: slp cai, pacesetter headers, magnaflow cat back, catco cat, hurst billet plus shifter.....and soon to be alum. driveshaft, lol.

these are not really mods per say but i also have: accel extreme 9000 wires ngk iridium plugs.

@cam98aro...i would have actually done it myself, but i have no jackstands or access to a lift. i've tried to all the other mods i have diy when possible. but if there is anyone in chicago that would be willing to help.......
                      Last edited by scott1996; 07-16-2009, 11:08 PM.

Comment

I think the V8's tranny are alitttle bigger & longer so they use a little shorter driveshaft. Just taking a guess.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                          i just looked it up, they did make ls1's with steel driveshafts, all m6 were aluminum and some of the auto's with 3.23 got the steel and all auto 2.78 got a steel one

i have seen some people who randomly have a steel one though
                          must have been in 98s then. ive never seen a ls1 with a steel one unless they swapped one in at some point after trashing a aluminum one. ill ask buddies with ls1s to see lol, its a mixed group of a4 and m6 so ill get to the bottom of that.

Follow me!
                          Or this

Comment

Originally posted by scott1996 View Post
                            thanks all for the replies....ya my gut was telling me pep boys is a bad idea to begin with...after i called them on the driveshaft being to short, they gave me another excuse involving the u-joints on the alum. shaft....can't you use the same u-joints from the stock shaft anyways? i thought i remember hearing something like that on these boards. well regardless i am probably not ever going to go there again.

anyways since i this is like my second post and i've been lurking for like the past year i figure i will list my mods i've done so far. as i said its a 1996 camaro y87 m5 with: slp cai, pacesetter headers, magnaflow cat back, catco cat, hurst billet plus shifter.....and soon to be alum. driveshaft, lol.

these are not really mods per say but i also have: accel extreme 9000 wires ngk iridium plugs.

@cam98aro...i would have actually done it myself, but i have no jackstands or access to a lift. i've tried to all the other mods i have diy when possible. but if there is anyone in chicago that would be willing to help.......
                            dont listen to them, it will fit 100% with no problems

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                            I think the V8's tranny are alitttle bigger & longer so they use a little shorter driveshaft. Just taking a guess.
                            nope, they are the same exact length

must have been in 98s then. ive never seen a ls1 with a steel one unless they swapped one in at some point after trashing a aluminum one. ill ask buddies with ls1s to see lol, its a mixed group of a4 and m6 so ill get to the bottom of that.
                            http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9428 :)

Comment

thanks again cam98aro and everybody else for the quick replies. you've all eased my mind...they had me thinking i had somehow bought the wrong part or they tried pulling a fast one and did a bait and switch one me, lol. yeah i dont know why i went there.....i thought since i needed an oil change anyways i would go there and kill two birds with one stone. normally i do the oil myself. i had a horrible experience with a pep boys in northern kentucky in the past, i thought it was just that one......apparently it is the whole franchise. i'm usually an auto zone person, lol.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                9 hours ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X