Wierd Trans problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wierd Trans problem

98 Firebird 3.8 I have the stock auto trans and the gas saver gears. Yesterday I was in third gear accelerating hard to overtake, when at about 4000 RPM the trans did something I have never experienced before. It downshifted to second and then immediately back to third and then back to second. The shifting was very harsh and in effect killed the power almost as though the engine had stalled and immediately re-started. It also scared me in the face of oncoming traffic. As soon as I took my foot of the gas everything seemed OK.

I got home and checked the fluid, level is good and the color too. I have no service light on etc. It will be difficult for me to check the codes if there are any due to my location.

Anyone any ideas, because I have never experienced anything like this before and overtaking is now cause for concern.

Thanks

Vic

Re: Wierd Trans problem

if it doest do it again i would not be concerned

Comment

when i stomp mine it will shift to 2nd and then to 3rd quickly.... but never had it shift back to 2nd

Comment

sounds to me and this is just a guess the throttle my have gotton stuck so where in that miss-hap

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
          Had to get another phone
          by ssms5411
          Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
          1 week ago
        • ssms5411
          Leaking front cover
          by ssms5411
          So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
          2 weeks ago
        • transamtom1
          Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
          by transamtom1
          Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
          3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X