just put my aluminum diveshaft in and its knocking - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just put my aluminum diveshaft in and its knocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just put my aluminum diveshaft in and its knocking

i only heard it about 3 times on my test drive, but it only makes a knocking noise when i hit a bump in the road, it feels like it is directly under the drivers seat, and im assuming it is the driveshaft because i never heard it until just now when i put it in

this is with a 5 speed and i have a feeling that it is hitting the torque arm where the carrier bearing bracket bolted up, because it is very close to the driveshaft

has anyone run into this problem before?

thanks for any help

Re: just put my aluminum diveshaft in and its knocking

I'd do a visual check of the driveshaft to see if you can find any scuffs that weren't there before and do a visual check of the transmission mount as well. It sounds to me more like the tranny mount went out. When mine went out, I felt it in the floor pan and it was a loud clunking noise that came about going over bumps.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

i use to hear a knocka like that, one of the exhaust support was broken and the pipe hit the car everytime a whent over a bump or uneven road

Comment

its not the trans mount or the exhaust, i have had both go bad on me and i know exactly what they sound like

like i said, i did not have this problem until i installed the driveshaft

i will get under and look for any marks on it

i basically hear a clunk noise when i hit a bump like someone smacked a hammer against the car

edit* just for clarification, im not trying to be an *** and ask for advise and tell people thats not the problem, but i am fully sure it isnt the exhaust nor the trans mount
        Last edited by cam98aro; 06-03-2009, 12:57 PM.

Comment

I am going to assume there are new Ujoints in there aswell. And X2 for the Scuffs that will tell right away if there is a clearance issue.

Comment

Originally posted by 94Firebird34 View Post
            I am going to assume there are new Ujoints in there aswell. And X2 for the Scuffs that will tell right away if there is a clearance issue.
            i didnt replace the u joints, i thought they seemed fine

and my car doesnt make any clunking noises when i first take off or shift gears like it used to, just when i hit a bump.. im not sure if bad u joints could cause that

Comment

Well I had a 70 Chevy pickup that I put a one piece in and it did something very much similar. I could not fibd were it was hitting anything and then one day the rear joint let go at highway cruise speed lucky for me I had a loop on it and it did not dammage too much. Double check the play in the joint as well as make sure the rear joint is completely seated in the rearend pinion yolk.

Comment

Driveshaft not might be balanced or the inside there is a peice that has broken off inside the driveshaft an is making the knocking sound.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

If it was not balanced it would vibrate pretty good you dont have a vibration do you.

Comment

GM had some problems on some of their ALM. driveshafts forget which year.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Well I had a 70 Chevy pickup that I put a one piece in and it did something very much similar. I could not fibd were it was hitting anything and then one day the rear joint let go at highway cruise speed lucky for me I had a loop on it and it did not dammage too much. Double check the play in the joint as well as make sure the rear joint is completely seated in the rearend pinion yolk.
                      interesting, i will have to take a look down there, i remember looking at everything, at both sides of the yolk and everything looked good and in place

the u joints in my old driveshaft had a ton of free play, while the new one was a lot stiffer, i compared it to the driveshaft from my 69 camaro, and the aluminum one felt very similar

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                      Driveshaft not might be balanced or the inside there is a peice that has broken off inside the driveshaft an is making the knocking sound.
                      i took it up to 60mph and everything was very smooth, no vibrations, it was smoother than my old 2 piece driveshaft, also the rear end noise i was hearing went away

If it was not balanced it would vibrate pretty good you dont have a vibration do you.
                      none at all

this one is the driveshaft they used on 01-02 f-bodies

Comment

Have you checked the transmission mount? Mine sometimes makes a noise like that when I go over some pretty bad bumps (usually concrete ripples in the middle of an intersection) over 25mph or so. Sounded like something was hitting the floorboards. It hasn't done it in a while, but I finally got another look under the car and noticed the top half of the mount was split in half.
                        '99 Camaro
                        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
                          Have you checked the transmission mount? Mine sometimes makes a noise like that when I go over some pretty bad bumps (usually concrete ripples in the middle of an intersection) over 25mph or so. Sounded like something was hitting the floorboards. It hasn't done it in a while, but I finally got another look under the car and noticed the top half of the mount was split in half.
                          its not the transmission mount, i am on my 3rd mount in 45,000 miles and i know what they sound like when they are shot, this is a totally different noise in a totally different place

this banging feels like it is directly under the drivers seat, while when i had bad trans mounts, they all sounded like there was a banging around the shifter

also, i put about ~50 miles on my car a day, i drove it yesterday and this morning with the old driveshaft and no problems, put the new driveshaft in and then started hearing the noise

i dont think the transmission mount could go bad in the 45min it took me to do the swap

Comment

The aluminum shaft is mainly an aftermarket thing to save weight. GM usually have the dual or steel ones.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

I got my ALM. driveshaft from a GM mechanic where my Dad worked, that he took it off of a stock T/A the customer complained about it, but it turned out to be something else so the mecahnic just saved the old one and gave it to me. This was about 7 years ago. Mechanic told me about a recall on some of the driveshafts that the internal peices were coming apart causing viberations and knocking sounds.
                              Last edited by ssms5411; 06-03-2009, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                8 hours ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X