Rear end gears. Lowest to highest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear end gears. Lowest to highest?

Putting a posi rear end in and want some new gears. Thinking like 3.73s or 3.23s. Just wondering which is lower or if anyone has a better suggestion?

Re: Rear end gears. Lowest to highest?

What's lower where? What?

Ahem.. 3.73's will give you better acceleration while 3.23's will be a bit slower but the positive to 3.23's would be better gas mileage.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

3.73 is the lower gear

the higher the number, the lower the gear is.

if you are looking at those gear ratios, why not just go with 3.42's? its right in the middle of what you are looking at, you will get a tad bit better acceleration over the 3.23, and a tad bit better fuel economy than the 3.73

Comment

If your driving highway alot 3.42's, if not 3.73's are worth it. I have had 3.23 , 3.42 and now 3.73's which I love for the street and even highway is nice for short period of time, it has great pickup for passing people but at about 80 MPH I'm at like 2600-2700 RPMS which I don't like to run more than 2500 RPMS while crusing for along period of time. Don't want to cause damage to the rear end.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

80MPH and 2600 rpm? That's quite a bit. But who does 80 on the highway?:) I'm looking to replace the rear end eventually though, and I'll probably get 3.73.

Comment

Speed limit here is 75 MPH on the highway so I do about 80-85 mph, might get it up to over 100 sometimes if the road is clear.LOL
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

blizzard
              im likin the black maro. man.

wish mine was black....eh (thought about buying a black shell and swapping everything =]

i can get a black shell for like 900.

haha just dont wanna spend 900 for a MACCO job. you know. the ones where they dont paint the door jams haha

Comment

I dont do too much highway with it. I have a dodge ram for any traveling type stuff. I want all the acceleration I can get. So it's looking like 3.73s are gonna give me that jump I'm looking for eh? Thanks all

Comment

I love my 3.73's , I think you'll like them, good luck

Comment

Originally posted by z38camaro View Post
                    blizzard
                    im likin the black maro. man.

wish mine was black....eh (thought about buying a black shell and swapping everything =]

i can get a black shell for like 900.

haha just dont wanna spend 900 for a MACCO job. you know. the ones where they dont paint the door jams haha
                    Thanks, it's fairly new to me too. I'm enjoying it. Can't wait to get the windows tinted and put some new shoes on her.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                      3.73 is the lower gear

the higher the number, the lower the gear is.

If you are looking at those gear ratios, why not just go with 3.42's? Its right in the middle of what you are looking at, you will get a tad bit better acceleration over the 3.23, and a tad bit better fuel economy than the 3.73
                      +1...

Comment

:blizzard:

yeah man,

i got 5 % tint on mine and its a f*CKIN night mare =.
                        cops are like

ooooo lets pull him over.

haha.

but yeah man.

like i said.

beautiful cars.

Comment

Originally posted by z38camaro View Post
                          :blizzard:

i got 5 % tint on mine and its a f*CKIN night mare =.
                          cops are like

ooooo lets pull him over.

haha.

Dang, that sucks. All of the cops around here in Florida are pretty cool. I love my 5% :D

cam98aro: as for the gears, I agree with venom and blizzard. I personally have 4.10's, but they kill gas and turn a lot of rpms if you want to drive with traffic on interstate.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                            Hello everyone!
                            by Andy H
                            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                            3 weeks ago
                          • 3.4 slow to go
                            hey there strangers!
                            by 3.4 slow to go
                            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X