clutch issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch issues

Well I replaced my stock clutch in december with a SPEC stage 2, and I was in kind of a hurry so I might have over looked a few things. Back in january I started hearing a squeeking noise at idle and when I would push the clutch pedal in the noise would go away. It still makes the noise, not all the time though. Well about a week ago it started making a ticking noise when I take off in first gear, it just goes tick tick then it goes away. So I'm going to rip my tranny out and try to see what's wrong. Should I get my flywheel resurfaced again??? Also I reused the stock flywheel bolts and the bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel. Should I go and get new bolts???
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro
    L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Re: clutch issues

its most likely the throwout bearing, did you replace it when you changed the clutch?

yes, you should get new flywheel bolts, they are made to stretch when torquing them down, they are not reusable.. im surprised you didnt snap any when putting them back in.

i used the same bolts for the PP to the flywheel with no problem

if you arent changing the clutch plate, there is no need to resurface the flywheel.

if i were you, i would recommend getting a new slave/to bearing kit

Comment

The spec stage 2 kit came with a pilot bearing, throw out bearing, clutch disk and pressure plate. What is a slave to bearing kit???
      1997 Chevrolet Camaro
      L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

a slave cylinder that already comes with a throwout bearing on it

Comment

i have reused my flywheel bolts for i dont know how many times, and for i dont know how long
          just have to put a little locktite on them

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells View Post
            i have reused my flywheel bolts for i dont know how many times, and for i dont know how long
            just have to put a little locktite on them
            you better hope they dont back out on you, the bolts are a stretch type, when you torque them, they stretch out. if you re-use them, they will become really weak

i snapped two in my crank, luckily there was just a tiny bit sticking out and i was able to use a bolt-out kit to remove them

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
              you better hope they dont back out on you, the bolts are a stretch type, when you torque them, they stretch out. if you re-use them, they will become really weak

i snapped two in my crank, luckily there was just a tiny bit sticking out and i was able to use a bolt-out kit to remove them
              What were you using to tighten the crank bolts? A sledgehammer? :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
                a torque wrench

Comment

they looked like regular bolts to me *shrug*
                  havent had a problem with my grippy aftermarket clutch and launches at the track

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

a torque wrench
                    Those are some pretty stout bolts. I've used 300 FT LBS air impact guns to put on flywheel/flexplate bolts and never snapped them. Maybe your turkey wrench is off... Is it a clicker or does it have the pointer?

Comment

Those are some pretty stout bolts. I've used 300 FT LBS air impact guns to put on flywheel/flexplate bolts and never snapped them. Maybe your turkey wrench is off... Is it a clicker or does it have the pointer?
                      it is a click one

all i know is i had it set to however many ftlb it calls for, and when i tried to do the "additional 15*" or whatever it is, the bolt just got very loose and snapped

Comment

Probably a good idea to buy some ARP bolts next time. They are pretty heavy duty. If you are driving it now, I guess it doesn't matter.

I have 2 click type Snap On torque wrenches ($$$$). You have to have them recalibrated once in a while - if you use them in an industrial environment. They also say to never use one of these to take off any bolts/nuts. I guess it messes up the calibration. I am trying to figure why the bolts snapped. Usually they tear out the crank threads. Eh, you were lucky.

Comment

Probably a good idea to buy some ARP bolts next time. They are pretty heavy duty. If you are driving it now, I guess it doesn't matter.

I have 2 click type Snap On torque wrenches ($$$$). You have to have them recalibrated once in a while - if you use them in an industrial environment. They also say to never use one of these to take off any bolts/nuts. I guess it messes up the calibration. I am trying to figure why the bolts snapped. Usually they tear out the crank threads. Eh, you were lucky.
                          i got flywheel bolts at a chevy dealership because i didnt have enough time to order bolts, and none of the parts stores carried them, i asked if i could use grade 8 bolts, and they said i probably could, but they wernt sure

Comment

a torque wrench
                            Are you a gorilla?

Shiiit, when I did mine, I probably pulled it 15+ times and never had issues with those bolts, other then installing them and tightening the ones on the very top. Didnt even use loc-tite

After a while i just said fugg it and left the top one out.

I tightened the crapp out of those bolts too and nothing broke
                            *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by StrtRacer98 View Post

Are you a gorilla?

Shiiit, when I did mine, I probably pulled it 15+ times and never had issues with those bolts, other then installing them and tightening the ones on the very top. Didnt even use loc-tite

After a while i just said fugg it and left the top one out.

I tightened the crapp out of those bolts too and nothing broke
                              you left a flywheel bolt out?

why didnt you just spin the engine and put it so the bolt would be on the bottom?

remind me to never let you work on my car.

and i have read many threads about people snapping flywheel bolts

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X