Changed my ATF easily!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Changed my ATF easily!

Does anyone know what the exact torque spec is? I couldn't find it anywhere. I have a Haynes manual and it doesn't even mention it. I wanna guess at like maybe 12ft lbs? Is that close? I over torqued them a few weeks ago and the gasket broke and one bolt head snapped off. I just wanna be leak free.

Comment

I've always just tightened them down firmly and have never had a leak on any of my cars. If you are cranking them down as tight as you possibly can, then that's waaaay to tight.
      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Thanks for the quick response man. I will see what 12lbs feels like and if that seems good enough I will keep it there. That will probably feel pretty firm I think. Well off I go.

Comment

Just got finished putting the gasket on and tightening it down. Turns out that 12 just feels too tight. I didn't even hit 12 before I stopped tightening it. I just used your "firm" method Rob Bell. Thanks. I have to go get some fluid then fill it up and pray it doesn't leak again. I'll post results later.

Comment

Must have been too loose. I had to tighten them up some more,it started to leak on one corner in the front on the drivers side where there aren't as many bolts. I tightened them up pretty tight not sure what torque but I tightened until my leak went away. I hope it is gone for good.

Comment

you basically want to put them hand tight, and turn the ratchet on them ever so slightly

they should only be torqued to around 6 ftlb, so i would do that, and add some fluid, put the car in neutral with your parking brake on and check for any leaks

also go in a cris-cross formation, so the pan goes on flat instead of twisted

Comment

Thanks for the tips man. I think they ended up alot tighter than that so I hope it doesn't blow the gasket out. I took it on about a 15 minute ride and no signs of leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by spydercam View Post
                  Thanks for the tips man. I think they ended up alot tighter than that so I hope it doesn't blow the gasket out. I took it on about a 15 minute ride and no signs of leaks.
                  that should be fine then.. just keep a close look for leaks until you can completely trust it

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                    that should be fine then.. just keep a close look for leaks until you can completely trust it
                    I sure hope so, it sucks to look down there and see red pouring out._lol
                    So far so good though, I've put about 10 miles on it and all seems good.

Comment

Torque specs for the transmission pan bolts is 96-120 in. lbs according to my Chilton manual. I just did an ATF change this weekend and torqued all the pan bolts in the criss-cross pattern to 120 in. lbs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                        Hello everyone!
                        by Andy H
                        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • 3.4 slow to go
                        hey there strangers!
                        by 3.4 slow to go
                        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X