Thinking about a mini spool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a mini spool

I going to put some new gears in the camaro (3.73s) and i dont have LSD and dont have the money to buy LSD so i am toying with the idea of a mini spool. i searched the forum and only found one discusion on it and there were mixed opinions. the car is a 95 3.4 and its got mild mods on it. its not exactly a daily driver, i only drive it in the summer so it wont see snow but will see the occastional rain storm. is the car going to be that undrivable with a mini-spool? i have also heard of it causing people to break axles is this true? and i know it will obviously cause low speed tight turning to be a problem but i dont think it will be a big deal, what do you guys have to say about it??

Re: Thinking about a mini spool

don't get a spool if you're gonna drive it on the street. yes, you can break your axles with them. Just save your money until you can get a LSD.

ok, looks like it would end up costing you over $100 to get a mini spool from summit, you could get a zexel from a salvage yard for less than that.

Comment

save up and buy a used unit. do it right the first time because it will cost money to remedy the problem later

Comment

do it right the first time. I mean, I know you want to save money and all, but think about it seriously. Compare the cost of a mini-spool, new axles and a new carrier(for when you break your old axles) to the cost of a used zexel. It may save you a few dollars initially, but when it's all said and done, you'll save quite a bit of money just buying the proper carrier.

Comment

I got a zexel in N/A race car there nice. a spool you would not be happy with, far as tight slow turns. Everyone says its not going to hold. It gets 1.66 60ft. We got it used to, works good. Mini spool is stonger no question, Its like anything theres no end to anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
            do it right the first time. I mean, I know you want to save money and all, but think about it seriously. Compare the cost of a mini-spool, new axles and a new carrier(for when you break your old axles) to the cost of a used zexel. It may save you a few dollars initially, but when it's all said and done, you'll save quite a bit of money just buying the proper carrier.
            well put. i wouldnt get a spool.
            Dave:
            00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
            97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

i had a mini-spool in my firebird. it was great for a week or 2.. just dont make sharp turns, axles might break.... chances of that happening, slim to none (unless axles are already damaged). your tires.. down the ****ter. iw as given the same warnings and i figured hell cant be that bad.. i bought brand new tires in mid september.. i had the minispool in for.. 1 month about... im now @ half tread.. with a positraction in.. YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY W/ SPOOL

you can get a zexel for like 200 bux. trust me. its worth it. smoke panther exaggerated the axles thing a bit much
              Last edited by Blip55; 11-27-2007, 09:37 PM.
              WE CAN REBUILD IT, WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY

Comment

hmmm guess im going hunting in the junk yard tommarow. only bad thing is theres only 2 yard by me. one hill billy place that has a transexual dude pulling trannies (the kind from cars) out while wareing a dress and red lip stick, and no.... im not kidding if he happens to be there mabe ill sneek a pic and post it up. good thing about that place is.... $25 will buy you just about anything you want :) I dont remember any 4th gens out there, i know theres alot of 3rds ill have to search arounf on here to see if one will fit.(the whole rear end) worst comes to worst ill go to the other yard.... they charge WAY to much, they think they are selling new parts or somthing.....

by the way would anyone happen to know what RPO code i should be looking for? i want a rear end with LSD 3.42s or preferably 3.73s
                Last edited by HossV6; 11-27-2007, 10:18 PM.

Comment

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/differential_carriers.htm
                  Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

i think either gu5 or gu6.. to lazy to look :(
                    WE CAN REBUILD IT, WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY

Comment

Originally posted by HossV6
                      by the way would anyone happen to know what RPO code i should be looking for? i want a rear end with LSD 3.42s or preferably 3.73s
                      No f-bodies came with 3.73s from the factory.

Originally posted by Blip55
                      i think either gu5 or gu6.. to lazy to look :(
                      You should have looked. It's GU6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                        Hello everyone!
                        by Andy H
                        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • 3.4 slow to go
                        hey there strangers!
                        by 3.4 slow to go
                        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X