S10 OR S15 posi unit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: S10 OR S15 posi unit.

Remember a govorner lock and a Detroit/ Powertrax locker are totaly different.

Brian
    sigpic

Comment

you guys are gonna get tired of all my questions, but I have to make a few more.

First: Is it any good to use the installation kit for differentials from SLP Performance? I'm asking this because on Summit Racing, their detailing the package, and on the start of the list, they wrote " Pinion Spline Count: 27 ", and that created a few doubts. But the applications for that kit is for GM 7.5" Open and Posi differentials, and since differentials for F-bodies from 93-02 are 28 splines.

If you people want to see the detailed information about that kit, the page is:
      http://store.summitracing.com/partde...04+4294925134+

Second: I already bought the locking differential, but I wanted to know if it is any good with 3.42 for a daily driving 1997 Firebird (3800)?
      Last edited by jbmetal; 11-29-2007, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jbmetal
        Second: I already bought the locking differential, but I wanted to know if it is any good with 3.42 for a daily driving 1997 Firebird (3800)?
        It will be fine. It is still a step up from an open.

As for the set up kit, 28 spline refers to the AXLE splines. Not the pinion. All 7.5-7.625's have 27 spline pinions. The pinion is splined where the driveshaft yoke slides on it. The rear first came out around 76 in the Monza. In 88 or 89 the AXLE splines changed from 26 to 28. Somewhere along the line the ring gear diameter grew 1/8 of an inch. Bottom line ,if it is advertised for your car it should fit.

Brian
        sigpic

Comment

that SLP kit is overpriced though. go with a richmond or ratech kit. stay away from the summit kits cause they send really crappy shims.

Comment

these are the pics of the differential.

I started checking it to see if it was in good shape.
            the last ones are showing some "center shaft" with a hole through it. I wanted to know, if through the hole on the case, which goes on top of the hole of that shaft (when it is completely inside), goes a bolt or something practically "locking" that shaft completely inside the case or if it goes like that, without any bolt I mean.

One of the pics, has those holes marked.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jbmetal
              these are the pics of the differential.

I started checking it to see if it was in good shape.
              the last ones are showing some "center shaft" with a hole through it. I wanted to know, if through the hole on the case, which goes on top of the hole of that shaft (when it is completely inside), goes a bolt or something practically "locking" that shaft completely inside the case or if it goes like that, without any bolt I mean.

One of the pics, has those holes marked.

Yes, the cross pin hsa a bolt that goes into the case and holds it in place. It's about 1 1/2" long and only has threads the first 1/2 under the head.

Brian
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442
                Yes, the cross pin hsa a bolt that goes into the case and holds it in place. It's about 1 1/2" long and only has threads the first 1/2 under the head.

Brian

ok, aparently, that bolt isn't inside the box...can it be bought? or is it difficult to find?
                Last edited by jbmetal; 11-29-2007, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Easy to get from the dealer or use the one in your rear now, if it's not broken.

Brian
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442
                    Easy to get from the dealer or use the one in your rear now, if it's not broken.

Brian
                    ohhhh, perfect...thank you God.... i was starting to sweat thinking about that bolt. :naughty:

so....one of my possibilities is to use the bolt of my differential.

:rock: It must be in a reusable state, if it was broken, the differential wouldn't be working well, right?

other thing buddy, before you start to get tired of answering my questions, looking at the differential, how can I be sure it is a locker and the gears are 3.42?

P.S.: I'll try to get photos in every stage of the upgrade, for those who want to see the process. :stp:
                    Last edited by jbmetal; 11-30-2007, 09:58 AM.

Comment

are there any numbers/lettering on the carrier?

count the number of teeth on the ring gear and pinion gear

Comment

Originally posted by Beestly
                        My '02 Camaro didn't come with a posi, so I sourced an LSD unit from a 2000 S-10 on eBay a few years ago (paid about $125.00) - works fine.

One thing you may run into, the reluctor ring for the ABS system... broke 2 trying to get it on (and yes, we heated them). Bought a 3rd, had a local shop shave off 1/64" from the interior of it, and it went on fine without further grief.

I remember my install: did exactly same thing! I figured after the first ring that something is not right.. if its form s10 and your ring doesn't fit , than remember shave off 1/64" from the interior of it lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                          Had to get another phone
                          by ssms5411
                          Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                          1 week ago
                        • ssms5411
                          Leaking front cover
                          by ssms5411
                          So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • transamtom1
                          Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                          by transamtom1
                          Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                          3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X