S10 OR S15 posi unit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S10 OR S15 posi unit.

guys can any one tell me.......if any of the s10 parts can be used in my differential........i mean i wanna upgrade to 3.42 and the posi unit...and we have alota S10s..in the yard...???

Re: S10 OR S15 posi unit.

I believe 89 and up S-10 parts would fit in your rear (88-89 GM changed the axle splines). But most S-10's would have a governor lock and not a true posi. A governor lock lets one wheel start spinning before it kicks in the other wheel. The gears would be the same as what comes in the F body.

Brian
    sigpic

Comment

ook thanks buddy.....i look through the s10 forum ......i the RPO codes r the same too like the f-body.........but thanks for telling me the years..ill see wat i can get outa trucks...

Comment

My '02 Camaro didn't come with a posi, so I sourced an LSD unit from a 2000 S-10 on eBay a few years ago (paid about $125.00) - works fine.

One thing you may run into, the reluctor ring for the ABS system... broke 2 trying to get it on (and yes, we heated them). Bought a 3rd, had a local shop shave off 1/64" from the interior of it, and it went on fine without further grief.
        I've got dreams bigger than my wallet can handle. :work:

Comment

even with the 3.4......iv got 95 so i dont think so we have the ring.......but i mite be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Beestly
            My '02 Camaro didn't come with a posi, so I sourced an LSD unit from a 2000 S-10 on eBay a few years ago (paid about $125.00) - works fine.

One thing you may run into, the reluctor ring for the ABS system... broke 2 trying to get it on (and yes, we heated them). Bought a 3rd, had a local shop shave off 1/64" from the interior of it, and it went on fine without further grief.
            hey, i'm practically doing the same thing, I bought a differential with 3.42 pinion and ring, it is suppossed to be from a S-10.

I think this differential is not the stock one, since it is an "eaton locker". someone here told i won't have a problem with the reluctor ring, that i can use my factory reluctor ring. I have a 1997 firebird. What problems can I get when installing it? and with the reluctor ring, what can i do?

If you want to see the differential to give a good information, well here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TODAY.m238.lVI

Please, I need someone to tell me exactly what I have to do, specially with the reluctor ring. Thanks.

Comment

Thats a governor lock.One wheel has to start spinning before the other kicks in. You have to put the ring from your old carrier on this on when you install the gears. If you don't you will have a anti-lock brake light on constantly. If you don't know how to install gears correctly, I sugest you have a shop that does install them.

Brian
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442
                Thats a governor lock.One wheel has to start spinning before the other kicks in. You have to put the ring from your old carrier on this on when you install the gears. If you don't you will have a anti-lock brake light on constantly. If you don't know how to install gears correctly, I sugest you have a shop that does install them.

Brian
                I asked this before, but no one saw what kind of differential i bought. that's why i wanted to ask you this...can i use my stock differential cover?

Comment

yeah.........u will be able to use ur stock cover.......just make sure u get the right lubricants...i saw it.....n guess every thing matches up.....so let us know wat happens...n let the shop do it

Comment

thank you everybody...

also, just to learn something else, i wanted to ask, which one is better? a locker differential or LSD? and why?

Comment

The governor lock is used in trucks so the wheels don't bind when your towing something. At low speeds it is just a open differential until one wheel starts to spin. Then the clutch kicks in and sends power to both wheels.

With the Lsd you have power going to both wheels all the time.

Then you have Detroit type lockers. Powertrax sells these for most rears, they never slip always sending equal power to both wheel. These act just like a spool and will only release if the ground turns the wheel faster then the ring gear is turning it. If your under full power it stays locked.

It comes down to preference. for a street car slower than 12.00, I like the auburn type posi, For anything faster a spool or a Detroit type locker.

Brian
                      sigpic

Comment

i took a posi out of an s10 i think it was a 00. i've had in my camaro for almost 3 years now. not one problem. go with a posi, peg leg isn't fun at all
                        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

well...then for me, that locker isn't the best choice. i hope it turns out to be fine for my car... I thought that a locker was a better differential or that was what I'd heard.

For the setup I have in my car (custom intake, custom exhaust with pacesetter headers, 160* Thermo, msd coils and cables, 4+ platinum spark plugs, and some tuning,...practically not much of a setup), do you people think that locker will work fine for my car?

Comment

yeah i guess..........the thing is unless u use it......we wont know....but see its fine for ur setup....just dont regret abt it man...and u will feel the big diff

Comment

Originally posted by Ballee
                              yeah i guess..........the thing is unless u use it......we wont know....but see its fine for ur setup....just dont regret abt it man...and u will feel the big diff
                              yeah...i know i'll feel the difference, from the stock differential, to a locker with 3.42, it's a pretty good upgrade though. it is supposed to make a good difference. I hope that traction on both wheels become at least near a lsd.

in a few years, when I graduate from college, i'll do another differential upgrade.
                              Last edited by jbmetal; 11-26-2007, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X