Does rear dif make loud whining noises? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does rear dif make loud whining noises?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does rear dif make loud whining noises?

For the past few days there has been a loud whining sound coming from the rear of my car as I drive. It only makes this noise when in gear (5 Speed) and increases in pitch as I go faster. Im thinking my rear dif and am on my way to go get some fluid. Does this sound like the culprit? Hopefully it just needs a fluid change.

Any suggestions?

Re: Does rear dif make loud whining noises?

Yeah, you're right, it most likely just needs fluid. Mine whined for a while because it was leaking fluid when I didn't torque the bolts on the diff cover evenly, and it went away after fixing the leak and topping off the fluid.

Mike

Comment

Well I opened up the rear diff and only a little fluid came out. some of the bolts were loose so it probably dripped slowly out. I refilled, replaced gasket, and retightened the bolts. Last night it seemed to have quieted the rear but this morning driving around especially on the high way I still hear the whining. is there some wear in period on new fluid that still causes it to whine? What else could it be. My diff looked ok when I had the cover off

Comment

i think its normal for a whine...my has a light when accelerating
        ....WHITE CAMARO CLUB....? =(

Comment

this happens sometimes when you do a gear change and the install isn't done perfectly, but i'm assuming you have a stock rear...?

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
          Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

its not normal to whine...

add some fluid

if that doesn't help start looking for a new rear or rebuild your current one... but then again I drove my car with a whining rear for ~20k miles and sold the car with it. So you could have awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by DAS BOOT
              its not normal to whine...

add some fluid

if that doesn't help start looking for a new rear or rebuild your current one... but then again I drove my car with a whining rear for ~20k miles and sold the car with it. So you could have awhile.
              I put a Richmond 3.73 gear in and it whines like crazy. I have been driving it Very hard for about 25K miles and i havent had one problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                I put a Richmond 3.73 gear in and it whines like crazy. I have been driving it Very hard for about 25K miles and i havent had one problem.
                Your pinion depth was set incorrectly when the gears were installed. Gears should be QUITE.

Brian
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gonzoflick
                  Well I opened up the rear diff and only a little fluid came out. some of the bolts were loose so it probably dripped slowly out. I refilled, replaced gasket, and retightened the bolts. Last night it seemed to have quieted the rear but this morning driving around especially on the high way I still hear the whining. is there some wear in period on new fluid that still causes it to whine? What else could it be. My diff looked ok when I had the cover off

Check to see if your pinion nut has begun to back off. If you ran low on fluid you may have a bearing going out or scored the gears. If it's a bearing it will get worse. If the gears were scored it will most likely not get any louder, but may have shortened the life of the gear set.

Brian
                  sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to get another phone
                    by ssms5411
                    Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                    1 week ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Leaking front cover
                    by ssms5411
                    So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • transamtom1
                    Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                    by transamtom1
                    Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X