• Show
Clear All

• 4.10s in a 5 speed 3.8?

I have:
    1997 Camaro 3.8
    5 speed
    SLP Intake/Flowmaster Exhaust/Aluminum DS/MSD IGN
    3.23s in stock open Diff.
    Okay, so according to my auto shop teacher, 4.10s in my car is "stupid" He claims it would make my car top out around 80-90 mph. I think hes an idiot...do any of you have 4.10s in you're 3.8 5 speeds? How do you like them? Also, do I need a gear install kit(saw it on SLPONLINE) to install new gears? And will putting in new gears mess with my ABS or anything like that? I have heard my speedo will be incorrect? If so, how much, and where can something to change my tune for a 97. I can only find ones for 98+.

Re: 4.10s in a 5 speed 3.8?

where you live? i will be acquiring hptuners soon :P.. im in South FL
    WE CAN REBUILD IT, WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY

Comment

naw you wont top out at 90mph, but in 5th gear doing 80 you will be at around 3100 rpms which is kinda high imo

here check out this chart and decide for yourself

http://www.f-body.org/gears/
      Last edited by Meatyshells; 11-06-2007, 04:16 PM.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

slow down lol

Okay, so according to my auto shop teacher, 4.10s in my car is "stupid" he is stupid He claims it would make my car top out around 80-90 mph. you deff will NOT top out at 90 I think hes an idiot...do any of you have 4.10s in you're 3.8 5 speeds? i have 3.73 How do you like them the are great, no problems? Also, do I need a gear install kit guessing this is your first set of gears, yes get the kit(saw it on SLPONLINE) to install new gears? And will putting in new gears mess with my ABS or anything like that it will not mess with your abs unless you take your abs ring out. do you have plans to put a posi in? if you doing gears, you should do the posi too. less work later. ? I have heard my speedo will be incorrect? it deff will be wrong. you'll have to tune it If so, how much, and where can something to change my tune for a 97 hp tuners, i'm not sure if hypertech does gears?. I can only find ones for 98+.

like all mods, gears don't make you go faster, they just help to get you there faster. hope that helps
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Chris2088
          Okay, so according to my auto shop teacher, 4.10s in my car is "stupid" He claims it would make my car top out around 80-90 mph.
          incorrect.

do any of you have 4.10s in you're 3.8 5 speeds?
          yes

How do you like them?
          i like them very much

Also, do I need a gear install kit(saw it on SLPONLINE) to install new gears?
          Technically no, but it wouldn't hurt to put fresh bearings and whatnot in while the rear is apart
          And will putting in new gears mess with my ABS or anything like that?
          no

I have heard my speedo will be incorrect?
          yup

If so, how much,
          your car will read about 5% fast

Comment

3.23 to 4.10 Is going to cause the speedo to read way more then 5% off. 5% at 60 mph would only be 3 mph off. If you don't have the speedo re-calibrated with HP tuners or another program, I would say you will read 15 to 20 mph faster than you are moving.

Brian
            sigpic

Comment

so how far will my stock speedo be off with 4.10s from my stock 3.23s?

how off would it be with 3.73s?

Comment

An automatic car with 3.23 and 26.7" diameter tires speedometer would read 65 Mph at 2000 rpm.

with 3.73 -56 mph at 2000 Rpm.

with 4.10- 51 mph at 2000 RPM.

5 speed cars would see a similar change.

If I knew the overdrive ratio in the 5 speed I could give those numbers.

Brian
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells
                  naw you wont top out at 90mph, but in 5th gear doing 80 you will be at around 3100 rpms which is kinda high imo

here check out this chart and decide for yourself

http://www.f-body.org/gears/
                  Yeah, that's a bit high and gas consumption will be greater. My 4cyl Eclipse has 4.21 gears in it. At 80mph, the tach is at about 3100rpms. This hurts my gas mileage (my commuter car). When cruising on the highway, I try and keep it around 70ish mph. But IMO, the gears are worth it if you really want to have more power off the line. My Eclipse isn't very powerful (and too heavy for a small car) but it kicks *** off the line and spins the tires like crazy because of the gears. It's lots of fun. After that though... it looses power. Other exhaust mods will help that though. Header goes on it this weekend. ;)
                  2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
                  1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
                  2011 Cadillac CTS-V
                  2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
                  2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Okay so I have 3.23s and a 5 speed with 235/45/17 tires. And going to 3.73s is going to put my speedo about 10mph off?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris2088
                      Okay so I have 3.23s and a 5 speed with 235/45/17 tires. And going to 3.73s is going to put my speedo about 10mph off?

Yep

Brian
                      sigpic

Comment

Why are you worried about the speedo being of. Get it tuned and problem solved. Sans-tuning, your teacher might be right. You'll top at 90 'cause the car will think it's going 118.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Bonemaro
                          Why are you worried about the speedo being of. Get it tuned and problem solved. Sans-tuning, your teacher might be right. You'll top at 90 'cause the car will think it's going 118.

Wouldn't that be about 108?

Brian
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442
                            Wouldn't that be about 108?

Brian
                            Iduno... I was just waxing philosophically about running much less than the limiter.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                              Hello everyone!
                              by Andy H
                              Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                              3 weeks ago
                            • 3.4 slow to go
                              hey there strangers!
                              by 3.4 slow to go
                              been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                              3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X