Billet 6061 1/2" transmission spacers. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Billet 6061 1/2" transmission spacers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billet 6061 1/2" transmission spacers.

I posted in the for sale section I was going to make a 1/2" spacer for the energy suspension tranny mount from some spare stock and was offering a spare or two. Got to thinking about it some more. Turns out after a search I found a thread just like this one from 8 months ago.

I'm not trying to hijack or anything, but it seems that never really took off? If I'm stepping on toes just let me know.

Anyway, I was going to see if there was interest still/again for this. No idea on price or anything, figure that could be talked about. If I could get a handful of people to commit I'm sure I could have them ready to ship in a week/two tops.

What do you think?

EDIT: For Anybody who was thinking of making one themself, I made a quick sketch of some dimensions you'll need. You can get the metal more or less cut to size at various places online (ie: www.onlinemetals.com) and do the rest of the work with the help of a drill press or hand drill if you don't have one.

Camaro Transmission mount spacer
    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 01-17-2020, 05:14 PM.

Re: Billet 6061 1/2" transmission spacers.

Like I mentioned in your other thread, I am interested. I've just been using washers as spacers, but I'd like a plate so that the entire underside of the mount sets on a flat surface. More stable.
    1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

Re: Billet 6061 1/2&quot; transmission spacers.

Originally posted by Taheen
      I posted in the for sale section I was going to make a 1/2" spacer for the energy suspension tranny mount from some spare stock and was offering a spare or two. Got to thinking about it some more. Turns out after a search I found a thread just like this one from 8 months ago.

I'm not trying to hijack or anything, but it seems that never really took off? If I'm stepping on toes just let me know.

Anyway, I was going to see if there was interest still/again for this. No idea on price or anything, figure that could be talked about. If I could get a handful of people to commit I'm sure I could have them ready to ship in a week/two tops.

What do you think?

6061 would be a poor material choice for a trans spacer, unless you intend to heat treat it?
      Last edited by FirebirdGT; 06-22-2007, 02:38 PM.
      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

How so? It's not being exposed to high heat levels. Its crush deform resistance is high enough for a low pressure job like trans mount spacer. Besides, heat treating it would just make it more brittle. High ductility is ok for this application.
        1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

Originally posted by 98 3.8
          How so? It's not being exposed to high heat levels. Its crush deform resistance is high enough for a low pressure job like trans mount spacer. Besides, heat treating it would just make it more brittle. High ductility is ok for this application.

After a few years of making aircraft parts from 6061, I would never use it unless heat treated to T6.

Personally, I would NOT use aluminum anyway.
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Considering that it's only a spacer, I'd feel comfortable with using aluminum.

Comment

I didn't mention it, but yes if I do they would be 6061-T6

Comment

How about this. We have untill Monday morning to see what interest there is. After that I'll order some more aluminum (yes, T6) since I plan on picking up some other stock anyway.

98 3.8, we'll figure out details later but I'll set aside one for you, I'll get enough to cover however many people want one here plus probably 4-5 extra. Figure there's always ebay.

I honestly just don't feel like cutting up my 1/2" plate when I can just get flat bar.

Comment

I work with 20-40' bar stock all day long, and 6061 alum. is a lot stronger than people give it credit. esp since it is not carring a load this 1/2 inch flat bar is almost overkill as far as strength goes.

btw Taheen let me know size you making the spacer I might try to find some scrap to use for it. thanks

Comment

Will have to measure the mount again but off the top of my head I'm guessing 1/2 x 2 x 6"

Comment

Due to the completely underwhelming demand... ;) I think I'll skip the idea of ordering up some stock for this and just go ahead with what I have on hand.

So that means I have enough 6061-T6 for three mounts. My own, 99 3.8's, and one more.

Not looking to really make money off of this. Just enough to cover the material and all the shipping. Was figuring about $20 shipped via flat rate envelope in the US. If that's a problem for you 99 3.8 I won't hold you to your word of wanting one. I think I'm a pretty reasonable guy.

If somebody wants to tell me what size and thread the stock bolts for the transmission to mount that'd save me the hassle of pulling them out and finding a ride to the store while the car is on stands. BTW, I'll throw in a set of proper length bolts to sweeten the deal.... they can't be that expensive.

Let me know.

Comment

if the bolts you include are grade 10.9 and of proper length i will take one for 20 shipped just let me know when you get it done send a pic to tiresmoke76@aol.com and as long as i like it you will have paypal, ok thanx

76 Camaro Rally Sport-355/TH350- Soon to be LT1/TH350 with a little laughing gas to wake it up...;)
                        89 Ram D350 CTD/M5- 1 Ton Dually getting 27 MPG's

Comment

Hey man, I got your email. Just lemme know when you get one done (I'd like to see a pic also) and I can send you 20 bucks.

Comment

Holy cow people, worrying about heat treat affecting the strength of the metal when you've got a piece of plastic taking the load seems kind of silly. Unless you're torquing it down _that_ hard.

I'd worry more about corrosion resistance since it's going to get dirty and wet a whole lot, unless you're going to paint it or something.
                            Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                            Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Originally posted by zlexiss
                              Holy cow people, worrying about heat treat affecting the strength of the metal when you've got a piece of plastic taking the load seems kind of silly.

Werd. That's what I've been saying all along...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X