Bleeding the clutch - step by step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bleeding the clutch - step by step

Here's how we bled my clutch system: My new clutch slave cylinder had a long *** bleeder valve on it, stuck out of the side of the tranny just enough for you to get a wrech on it. Matt claims his wasn't like this, so I dunno if mine's a freak or what. But, we just cracked the bleeder valve and let it gravity bleed, keeping the resivoir filled so no air got in. Once fluid started leaking out of the valve, we closed it off and were good to go. Haven't had any problems yet, and I've been driving it like this for about a month.
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

i have a question for someone, i have a 1998 chevy camaro and i just replaced the clutch with a stage 3 spec clutch and was wondering if there is a way to adjust the clutch pedal to allow the clutch to engage with the pedal lower than what it does right now. i want the clutch to engage about half way or even a little higher i have to almost release the clutch all the way to engage the clutch right now. it drives fine though.

Comment

Nope, the stock system is self-adjusting so you can't change it. Specs tend to ride pretty high, at least mine and a couple others Ive driven (both V6 and V8) were like that.

McLeod does make an adjustable master for the V8, not sure if it works for the 6.
        Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
        Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Hey fellas,

My 17 yr. old son bunrt up the clutch on his 2000 Camaro. We just replaced the clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder, and flaywheel (warped, imagine that). Got the car all back together last night. I went thru the bleeding procedure, and could not get the car in gear. Like there was no response fromt he clutch at all. Then, it start smoking, like the clutch was burning. I shut it down since it was late anyway. This evening I'll bleed it all again and hope for better results.

Doesn the above sound like anything you have experienced before?

Comment

2fast, I have the exact same problem with my Exedy clutch i just put in last summer.

The odd thing is though, is that my stock clutch began engaging/disengaging high up in the pedal throw after about a year it was professionally put in.
            My Exedy started engaging/disengaging high up in the pedal throw about a week after I put it in.

I know its not supposed to be like that since it wasn't after initial install. I think pressure is trapped in the line, causing slave to always be slightly pressurized, hence the rapid disengagement when foot goes on clutch pedal. I'm going to try bleeding the master cylinder and braided line separately from the slave cylinder to see if that fixes the problem (something not done since during install when system worked fine), once I find the instructions that came with the master cylinder (something about pushing the master cylinder rod in and having the bottom facing up, then depressing the quick disconnect pin?)
            Last edited by saltnvinegar6287; 04-30-2008, 10:08 AM.
            1996 white camaro M5<br />-Custom CAI, !MAF, !EGR, Hi-Flow Cat, Magnaflow Cat-back, Removed Jack/Spare/Back seats.<br /><br />2.12 60\' Best<br />15.14 @ 90 1/4 mile Best

Comment

Honestly... I don't know why you guys have problems with this.

I have bled clutches plenty of times with a mightyvac, from the top and the normal way...

My favorite way for flushing fluid and bleeding.

-Put car in Air...

-Put a 1/2 in section of clear tubing over the slave. I got 10' @ lowes for $2.50. (not bleeding like a set of brakes, by filling the tube, but just making less of a mess.)

-Put one end in a 32 oz gatorade bottle, other end over bleeder valve.

-Open bleeder with 7/16 combo wrench, have someone push pedal down and hold it down.(this pushes fluid out bleeder, instead of actuating the slave)

-close bleeder, have driver pull pedal up, this draws in fluid from resovoir.

-I do this several times, occasionally stopping and adding more fluid.

-Once fluid seems clean, I open valve, and have driver, push down, but I close valve, before they get the pedal all the way down, so there is always pressure pushing out of the valve, no time for air to go back in) I do this once or twice.

-Then I cycle the clutch a few times, usually ok, once or twice it didn't get the feel back, just repeated.

15 min process? Are you guys letting the clutch come back up when the bleeder is open? because that will cause the slave to draw in air from the bleeder, instead of fluid from resovoir.

Really wasn't that hard, not sure the problem, hell I have done it by myself, except I had a broom stick on the clutch pedal and was turning the wrench in one, and pushing the pedal iwth the other. Easiest is the mightyvac with the little cone fitting, but my mighty vac has seen better days in the last decade.

Comment

There is a you tube video on how to fix sloppy Camaro clutch .I did it to mine and it fixed everything.It involves removing the clutch master and quick disconnect line.Then remove line from slave cylinder drill out check valve inside line and reassemble.Works like a charm.

Comment

That's a modification to it...

Easiest way to bleed if you have access to it, is hook vacuum to the little nipple on the clutch fluid cap for 10-15 minutes.

Comment

I just use the remote bleeder line. Did it all from my seat.

Comment

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
                      I just use the remote bleeder line. Did it all from my seat.
                      fancy pants:excited:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                        Hello everyone!
                        by Andy H
                        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • 3.4 slow to go
                        hey there strangers!
                        by 3.4 slow to go
                        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X