Glossed Clutch :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glossed Clutch :-(

i think i might have glossed over my clutch disc. i put it in first and it is hard to take off slowly. then, when i shift through second and into third and mash on the gas, the RMP's crawl upward very fast but my acceleration is the same, and when i let off ther gas, the engine speed drops back down to where it should be. i don't know if i have to buy a new clutch or not because it'll cost 200 buck from auto zone or if i could just replace the disc with someone elses? help me please.

well it definitely sounds like it's slipping.. and also sounds like you don't have much time left.. the best way to do this would be do the whole clutch kit.. and throw out bearing at once..

but my first question would be what kind of mileage does your car have on it?? .. really doesn't make much of a difference though I guess.. if your clutch is slipping you need a new clutch and pressure plate bare minimum provided it has gone bad......
    -Brad
    98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
    2000 V-Star Custom 1100
    If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
    :rock:

Comment

Definitely new clutch...
      E-mail: ibjanky@yahoo.com<br />AOL IM: IBJanky

Comment

yeah, thats what i figured, i got 146,000miles on it and its a 93

Comment

wow!.. man if that clutch is original it ain't glossed it's wore out!..lol..
          -Brad
          98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
          2000 V-Star Custom 1100
          If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
          :rock:

Comment

That puppy is definatly worn out
            1996 Silver Camaro, Y87, M5, cammed..<br />N/A Best Time: 14.012 @ 98.59<br />195 rwhp / 233 ft-lbs b/f heads/cam<br />Check out my site <a href=\"http://silver3800.cz28.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://silver3800.cz28.com/</a>

Comment

I have the same problem... I thought it was traction but I am pretty sure its the clutch now, becuase you describe the same RPM goes up fast, but you don't accelerate as much scenario I had... Damn....
              1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
              1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

smoked clutch anyone? ;)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TheBulldog:
                  yeah, thats what i figured, i got 146,000miles on it and its a 93<hr></blockquote>

I am on my 4th clutch at 120k in my 94.

Comment

I think I might have "smoked" my clutch. I was raqcing my car at No Problem Raceway, I lanched the car approx 2000 rpm I felt like the tires spun through 1st shift light came on shift to 2nd, then also most right into 3th and 4th. shift light came on shifted into 5th. Finally stop spinning but lot of smoke from under the car. The car is a 2002 with 18000 miles and this was the 7th pass on the car. If I need to replace the clutch what should I use. Thanks T.Ray

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: TRAYCAMARO2002 ]</p>

Comment

does it slip in normal driving? I have smoked a clutch before and had it last a couple thousand extra miles.

Jesus I jsut realized something, I have trashed 3 clutches on v6 Camaros in the last 2 years.

Comment

No it does not feel like it is slipping. Thanks
                        T.Ray

Comment

You know when you smoke the cluth, its a titiliating scent of nastiness. Anyways, i know my clutch sucks, but it still drives fine, whenever i give it hell it slips. Also i can only get one tire burnout out of it, then its all clutch.

Cp

Comment

well, mine does it during normal driving. i think it happened when i did a one- eighty and i kept it in first and smoked the tires for about 1/8th of a mile. (showed those high schoolers). now, especially when it is cold, it slips under granny driving conditions usually in third. guess iu gotta shell it out huh?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TheBulldog:
                              well, mine does it during normal driving. i think it happened when i did a one- eighty and i kept it in first and smoked the tires for about 1/8th of a mile. (showed those high schoolers). now, especially when it is cold, it slips under granny driving conditions usually in third. guess iu gotta shell it out huh?<hr></blockquote>

not even sure that is what did it, I ahve never heard of a stock clutch lasting that long, on a sporty car.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X