Converter stall 500-700 below dyno or factory peak? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converter stall 500-700 below dyno or factory peak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converter stall 500-700 below dyno or factory peak?

I've heard a lot of people talking about getting torque converters with a stall of between 5 and 700 below the peak torque rpm of the car.

Now people have been assuming this is 4000 as advertised by GM, but I know from dyno'ing my car that my peak torque came at about 3700rpm.

Is this a big deal? Will the difference every really come into play if I dont' go with a power adder? What if I did? Opinions?

Thanks!
    1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

500-700 below is ideal--above that won't hurt it though, unless you do like 5000 rpm stall or something.

basically, the ideal stall is supposed to shift your car at the max hp point and then upshift, throwing your next gear down at the max torque point (~4000 rpms). my 3600 drops to about 4400 stall when my car shifts, and the power is ALL there, regardless of where my max torque is. my car runs at about 4400 rpms for about 3 seconds, and then just starts climbing again--it's a little weird, but it's pretty cool. ;)

no one has done enough trial and testing to be able to really tell what the BEST stall for our cars is. but, i think just about all of the converters 3000 stall and above do well. for instance, slacker69 pulled a 1.7 60' with a 3000 stall converter. but then again, magnus pulled a 1.7 with a 3400 stall and heads/cam.

i think it's your call on the converter issue. i think you'd be find with a 3300 stall and even a 3600 stall--BUT, i wouldn't go lower than 3300.
    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
      Hello everyone!
      by Andy H
      Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
      3 weeks ago
    • 3.4 slow to go
      hey there strangers!
      by 3.4 slow to go
      been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X