No announcement yet.

Help removing tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you remove the braided cable that attaches to the actuator on the drivers side of the bellhousing?? If you did not remove this then the actuator is bolted to the tranny inside the bellhousing with 2 bolts. It will prevent you from pulling the bellhousing away from the block and also pulling the tranny away from the bellhousing. You have to pull the tranny and bellhousing away from the block together. You will get about 2 inches max, then you can reach in there with a swivel socket and a 10mm and remove those 2 actuator bolts. Then the bellhousing will seperate from the tranny.
    Michael Huff<br />92 RS, 98 V6, 97 SS, 00 Z28 <br /> <a href=\"http://www.carolinafbodyclub.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.carolinafbodyclub.com/</a>

Comment

Yes, the hydraulic line is removed... Everything is out that should be. I just don't get it. I've spoke to a few mechanics about this and stumped every one of them. It just doesn't make any sense why it won't slide out. I won't be able to mess with it today but hopefully tomorrow I can get under there again and try some more.
      -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Are you sure you got all the bellhousing bolts out? There is one on the drivers side that is kind of hidden behind a wire harness, I almost forgot to put it back in during re-install. This is very odd, you got me stumped! I've had problems getting the tranny back in but never pulling it out.
        Michael Huff<br />92 RS, 98 V6, 97 SS, 00 Z28 <br /> <a href=\"http://www.carolinafbodyclub.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.carolinafbodyclub.com/</a>

Comment

if you put all that force on it you must be missing a bolt. Man that's all I can think of. You are correct in assuming the tranny should slide out of the motor/flywheel.. the only thing I can think of is that maybe something is in a bind. all that jarring it around while being disconneced to the bellhousing, don't be offeneded but did you remove the shifter from the top? you might want to ease the jack down a little(I am assuming you are using a floor jack) and try to slide... either that or raise it up nice and level and completely slide the tranny back into the motor.. try to line it up as best as possible as that when everything was mounted up and start over trying to slide it out.. maybe slide it straight out a little then drop a little then out a little then drop a little and so on. you have a fairly small tolerance there which is why something could be binding, and if it is binding right then you aren't gonna get it out without breaking something.. when I get home tonight I'll try to remember to look at my book and see if it gives any better instructions, if so I can scan em in in pdf and e-mail ya.. shoot me an e-mail if you want and I can give you a phone number
          -Brad
          98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
          2000 V-Star Custom 1100
          If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
          :rock:

Comment

yea, make sure you are pulling it strait out. I had this problem with a chevette a couple years ago. Yes a Chevette. I had to get four guy to help me pull it out by hand. The car was not on a lift, just a couple of jack stands so you can imagine how hard it is to handle a tranny that's 12 inches off the ground with your arms stretched out all the way. Good arm workout though.
            White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bu-bye:
              ...so you can imagine how hard it is to handle a tranny that's 12 inches off the ground with your arms stretched out all the way. Good arm workout though.<hr></blockquote>

I feel your pain. luckly these trannies don't weigh too much
              GM 3800 PowerPak guinea pig<p>\"what cam, that\'s just a nasty mis-fire...\"

Comment

Thanks for all your help so far guys, and sorry for biting your head off, RAMairEZ, it was the end of a frustrating day. The car's been on stands since Thursday and the tranny is still on there! I'm going for a record longest clutch install here. :D

Ironman24, I've been trying to feel behind those wires going across the top there, I was pretty sure there wasn't anything up there, but I'll try pulling the wires all the way out if I have to.
                black98V6, yes, I got the shifter. [img]smile.gif[/img] I can't really slide the tranny back into the motor... I haven't got it away from the motor at all yet!

Can anyone tell me how many bolts hold the bellhousing to the engine block?????
                I've removed 6 bolts from the bellhousing, plus 2 bolts on each side holding the brakets that go to the oil pan. I've also removed the inspection plate on the back side of the bellhousing.

Again, thanks for all your help so far guys. Maybe by Christmas I'll be driving again! :cool:
                -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Can you tell me exactly what tools I will need and how to do it the best way? I might be pulling mine out soon.

Comment

well I just looked it up in my haynes manual.. it just says remove all the bolts that secure the tranny to the motor and slide it out.. I know that these manuals aren't the greatest but it really doesn't mention anything in particular.. really gotta check for bolts man.. if it isn't moving away at all... well then it's gotta be a bolt.. if that aint' it.. you got something broken and hung..
                    -Brad
                    98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                    2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                    If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                    :rock:

Comment

I visit this site more for the entertainment value than anything else. Dude I feel your pain... I had some trouble getting mine off. Its sitting on short studs that you will need to slide the tranny off after removing the bolts. You are better off unbolting the tranny before the bellhousing although you could do either. You may have to use a prybar once you get all the bolts off for extra leverage but be careful because its just soft aluminum.

Comment

Hey Big Habib love your sig. I will never use M1 again. Lets not change the subject here. God knows this has been talked about enough.

96BeastV6 have you tried getting couple friends to help you pull it out strait?
                        White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

Ok im just guessing based on my experience with 3rd gen V6 and V8 T5's and 4th gen T56.... but there should be four bolts holding the main transmission to the bellhousing, the slave should bolt to the bell, if you have it off then put it back on, make sure you have the torque arm off the rear of the trans, the driveshaft out and the x member out, put someone in the car and have them push the clutch, then just pull the trans out of the bellhousing, then you will be able to remove the slave and then the bell, after that you can get at the pressure plate bolts, tomorrow i'll try and get under my neighbors 3.4 to make sure for ya.

Comment

IT'S OUT!! IT'S OUT!!!!!

I'm heading to work right now but I'll fill in when I get back.

Comment

Finally got the tranny out.. wahoo!! All it took was two people, two screwdrivers, two hammers, and two CROWBARS! It's kinda funny how I got it started too... I was getting frustrated with it (and who wouldn't after a week?!?) and started knocking the hell out of the bellhousing with the hammer I had in my hand. After I got done with that, I laid down under it and saw a gap between the block and bellhousing! I immediately went to the other side and tried hitting it but to no avail. For the next hour or so we tried everything from trying to hammer screwdrivers to force a gap to trying to wedge a jack between the k member (I think) and the bell. Finally I just went to the other side with a crowbar and pried away.. eventually a small gap appeared on the passenger side. My dad hammered a screwdriver into it to open it some more. Then the two of us each took a crowbar and pried it away about an inch. After a third person joined us to help lower the tranny, then a little more hassle with a crowbar, it finally came down. I took the old clutch, flywheel, and throw-out bearing off, then put my new ones on. Then I had to go to work. :( Won't mess with it tomorrow, but on Friday I will rent a tranny jack (couldn't imagine trying to align that monstrosity while trying to hold it on a little floor jack) and I'll put the tranny back on.

I was suprised at the condition of my current clutch. There's no way it has 70k miles on it. It looked almost new. The flywheel looked like it had been recently resurfaced as well. I bought the car at 60k, so I'm not sure what went on before that, but I do know that a trailer hitch had been installed on it at one time. This clutch doesn't look at all like a clutch that has 70k miles and towing on it. Oh well, I'll keep it as a spare (I'm a packrat).

I think I know the reason it wouldn't come out too. The holes for the bolts on the side of the tranny have pegs that go through them (the bolts actually go through the pegs). Those pegs are what seized up on me I'm pretty sure. Once I pried the bellhousing off of those (passenger side peg stayed in the bellhousing, driver side stayed on the block), it slid out nicely. When I put it back I'll be sure to lube those pegs up nicely.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I'll get to work on the install guide. ;)

[ November 22, 2001: Message edited by: 96BeastV6 ]</p>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X