M5 Stuck in gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M5 Stuck in gear

Anyone ever had their M5 get stuck in gear? I'm merging onto interstate the other day in 5th gear, need to drop it down to fouth to pull in front of thie big rig and it comes part of the way out of 5th, then it won't go anywhere, not back in gear, not neutral, not any damn gear. So, I here in the merging lane drifting fearing for my life and jerking the S1ht out of the shifter and eventually it comes down into neutral and then i get it in fouth and get on it. This is the only time this has happened and it hasn't happened since. Have any of you had this happen, or any ideas of what when wrong, or what could be going bad in the transmission.

Thanks
    Jared W. Drummond<br />jdrummon@vt.edu<br />1997 3.8 Firebird M5<br />-----------------------------------<br />*Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler* *SLP Cold Air Intake* *Zexel-Torsen LSD* *1-Piece DS* *Eibach Pro-Kit* *Removed MAF Screen* *Manual Fan Switch* *Mobil 1 Oils*<br />-----------------------------------<br />*Pioneer Premier DEH-920R Headunit* *Orion Cobalt 6 1/2\'s* *Sub Stealth Box w/ Alpine SWR-1021D* *Kenwood 728S Amp for Sub*

this is a symptom of problems with the syncros... Don't know a whole bunch about trannys but I do know the syncros are what makes it easier to put a car into gear and for that matter take it out. Now when it comes to 5th gear I have considerable play in mine. When I am crusing in 5th I can "pop" the shifter in and out of something. Best way to explain is while in 5th I can pull the shifter back a little bit and you will feel it go out of what feels like a gate but I am still in 5th with no problems. I can move the shifter back and forward about an inch or so while doing this. I just chalked it up to some extra slack due to the fact that the Borg Warner t-5 while being a nice little tranny isn't made to very tight tolerances.
    -Brad
    98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
    2000 V-Star Custom 1100
    If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
    :rock:

Comment

May or may not be the answer to your problem, but my friend who owns a lt1 z28 ran into a similar problem. Turns out a bolt that connects his shifter and the tranny was loose. Try taking the leather boot off and making sure everything is intact. Just an idea....

Joe
      *OneQuickSix*<br />1998 3.8L V-6 Camaro<br />~A4 w/Y87~

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by OneQuickSix:
        Turns out a bolt that connects his shifter and the tranny was loose. Try taking the leather boot off and making sure everything is intact. Just an idea....<hr></blockquote>

Good idea BUT..... our shifters don't have handle that can be removed. The handle is pressed onto the shifter itself. :(
        Jason McCallister, Founder & Webmaster<br /><a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">West Tennessee F-Body Association, Inc.</a><br /><br />2000 Camaro - <a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org/site/view_member.php?ID=68\" target=\"_blank\">Details</a>

Comment

I think he might be talking about one of the 4 bolts that mount the whole shifter assembly to the tranny. if those got loose it could move everything out of whack.
          -Brad
          98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
          2000 V-Star Custom 1100
          If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
          :rock:

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jason McCallister:

Good idea BUT..... our shifters don't have handle that can be removed. The handle is pressed onto the shifter itself. :(
            <hr></blockquote>

????? The shift nob screws on. Unscrews counter-clockwize. You can also remove the shift boot plate by (1) removing the screws under the coin thing in the console glove box and (2) pulling the shift plate back to pull the locater tabs out of their holes in the console floor piece.
            Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jason McCallister:

<hr></blockquote>

He is referring 2 the handle not the knob.
              2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>I think he might be talking about one of the 4 bolts that mount the whole shifter assembly to the tranny. if those got loose it could move everything out of whack.<hr></blockquote>

Ahhh.... I see! :D I didn't read his question throughly enough. ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>????? The shift nob screws on. Unscrews counter-clockwize.<hr></blockquote>

I was referring to the handle itself, not the knob. The stock T56 shifters have a removable handle where as our stock T5's do not. The T5 shifters are a single piece (not including knob).

[ December 29, 2001: Message edited by: Jason McCallister ]</p>
                Jason McCallister, Founder & Webmaster<br /><a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">West Tennessee F-Body Association, Inc.</a><br /><br />2000 Camaro - <a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org/site/view_member.php?ID=68\" target=\"_blank\">Details</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to get another phone
                  by ssms5411
                  Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                  1 week ago
                • ssms5411
                  Leaking front cover
                  by ssms5411
                  So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                  2 weeks ago
                • transamtom1
                  Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                  by transamtom1
                  Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X