Info on A4 hard shift/1870 problem..... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Info on A4 hard shift/1870 problem.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on A4 hard shift/1870 problem.....

I've had the problems that other people were describing here, but I also noticed that my torque converter clutch was not engaging properly. I checked at my local tranny shop today and talked to the guy, and he said that it is the pulse valve, as others said. It's the pusle valve for the torque converter clutch. Apparently, it uses variable pressure and lock up.
    When the pulse valve isn't working right, the tcc won't lock up properly, and the clutch will eventually burn up. He said that the hard shift at low speed/low throttle is the PCM sensing the pressure problem, and going into some type of a safety mode (maybe boosting the line pressure to compensate for the low tcc pressure).
    Just changing the pulse valve won't fix the problem completely. Superior Transmission (www.superiortransmission.com) has a fix kit that takes care of the problem (they get rid of the variable lock up, and go to a plain on/off lock up). They also have fix kits for the myriad other problems that the 4L60E has.
    Getting the transmission serviced by Chevy or Pontiac won't do any good, because they will just replace it with another stock (unmodified) unit, and you will be in the same boat later down the road.
    No, I don't work for Superior Transmission or a tranny shop, I'm just fed up with dealing with the problems that GM dumps on us. After I get the fix done, I'm going to hit Chevy up for reimbursement, as they replaced the transmission in my car at 13,000 miles (probably for the same reason), and it's acting up again. I'll let everybody know what happens there.
    Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
Working...
X