Changing rear diff. Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing rear diff. Fluid

It’s been about 15-17 years since the diff. Fluid been changed so ordered so 75-90 fluid from Amsoil. Already have a T/A rear cover so should be pretty easy since it has a drain plug and fill plug. According to Amsoil it’s 3.6 pints, 1.8 qts, plus ordered 4oz of rear diff additive. Yeah last time the rear diff was touched was in 2008 if I remember correctly. I had a brand new Torsen diff put in with GM Motive 3.73 gears and new axle seals installed. Still have my old Torsen diff somewhere in my shed. From 2008 until now probably put 22k miles on it so pretty good. Going to start beating on the Camaro tuning for the turbo so want some good fluid in there.
    Last edited by ssms5411; 11-15-2022, 08:31 PM.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Finally going to get around to doing this, hopefully Monday or Tuesday.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The amsoil bags make this easier than using the bottles, but a nice hand transfer pump like this I always found to make the job way easier: https://amzn.to/3RCONow

It's like the diff fill hole is in the worst possible spot...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Yes got the bags, and will pour the additive in one of the bags to get it in easier. With the TA cover you can drain and fill using the front cover. Should be alot easier.

Comment

Got it done, took all the 3qts and 4oz additive. I know I spilt alittle getting the bags in position, but it didn’t fill it out the drain plug. Should I be worried it’s not enough? I know with the TA cover it adds more fluid. I’ll check out TAs website. My old fluid was Royal Purple, forgot I had that in there.lol Looked good for 15 years. Next time I’ll loosen the panhard bar so it doesn’t spill.

Comment

Found my answer on TAs website and instructions, might have to drain some out. Basically fill it until the stock fill plug on the side starts dripping. Will drain it tomorrow.
            Last edited by ssms5411; 02-08-2023, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Got it drained, not too much came out, probably 1/2 qt., I feel better about it. Just need to do some tuning and I’ll finally be done for awhile.

Comment

What kind of covering do you have there?

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
                  What kind of covering do you have there?
                  it’s a TA performance diff cover with stud kit for the caps.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                    Hello everyone!
                    by Andy H
                    Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • 3.4 slow to go
                    hey there strangers!
                    by 3.4 slow to go
                    been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X