Tranny not shifting from 1st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny not shifting from 1st

So, I neglected to keep an eye on the fluids in the wife's 96. I was working out of town and just didn't keep an eye on it when I got home. Seems the fluid got low. It now works great in 1st and reverse but will not shift. Added fluid hoping that would help but doesn't look like it did. Any ideas of what else i might be able to check would be greatly appreciated. It's not throwing any codes. thanks
    Also noticed the speedo is not working now :( will not shift manually. Does start in 2nd if I push the button on console telling it to, I think but still does not shift
    Last edited by gatormike69; 07-12-2022, 10:59 AM.

Don’t know, I’d try a transmission shop see what they say.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Does the fluid smell burnt? You can try looking at this to pull the pan off and check the plate and valve body inside: https://highperformancejunkies.com/p...sion-pictures/

It sounds like a clutch pack probably burned up. Did you fill the trans with the car running, cycle through the gears and then check the level with the car still running?

If it is pooched I’d look at either a junkyard transmission or a rebuild. Junkyard trans should be pretty cheap and if you are handy with cars you could save the labor.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Thanks, added fluid while running. Cycled through the gears with the shifter but no difference. I did notice that the speedometer is not working also. Unfortunately I bought the house the wife wanted and there is an HOA that gets real bit*hy if you try to work on the vehicle in the driveway. :(

Comment

If your speedometer isn’t working then check the VSS , vehicle speed sensor, that’s why the transmission won’t shift. I think it’s on the drivers side of the transmission if I remember correctly it’s been awhile.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by gatormike69 View Post
            Thanks, added fluid while running. Cycled through the gears with the shifter but no difference. I did notice that the speedometer is not working also. Unfortunately I bought the house the wife wanted and there is an HOA that gets real bit*hy if you try to work on the vehicle in the driveway. :(
            I feel this, this was the one of a few requirements I had when we bought. I did not want a HOA or anyone telling me I couldn't work in my garage or in the driveway.

See what Steve said above, could be coincidence and might solve your issue

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Thanks I will see what I can find about the sensor.

Comment

Looked it up should be on the tail of the passenger side.

Comment

So, turns out a doggone squirrel chewed the wires from the VSS on top of the tranny. Drop the tranny and mount and repair wires, good to go. :) Gotta find a way to deter that rodent...

Comment

I’m glad you found the problem, damn animals. I had mice eat up my carpet in the Camaro, about 17 years ago. Gave me a excuse to put down sound deadening material and new carpet.
                    Last edited by ssms5411; 08-10-2022, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                      hey there strangers!
                      by 3.4 slow to go
                      been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                      2 hours ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Had to get another phone
                      by ssms5411
                      Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                      1 week ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Leaking front cover
                      by ssms5411
                      So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • transamtom1
                      Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                      by transamtom1
                      Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X