Trans Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans Mount

Who has actually changed out the trans mount? What issues did you have - if any?
    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

I don’t recall having any issues when I swapped both of mine. Are you going with the stock rubber replacement or a poly mount?

I believe the poly mount required a straight cross brace be installed. At least I remember swapping mine and seem to recall it being due to going to the poly. The V8 guys have the straight brace.

Make sure you use a jack with a block of wood across the trans oil pan to support it.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Neither - 98+1LE bushing

I already have the straight trans brace and currently a 97 1LE bushing - 13 years old and 46K miles - looks crushed

Most likely the source of the "thud" noise.

And it's a manual trans.

Raven

Comment

Should be a straightforward swap then. And yes, a bad trans mount can cause thuds as well as shaking in your shifter

Comment

I went with the poly mount years ago. Still holding. Must have over 50k and 15 years on it. Can’t remember to well without looking at it but I think I used washers as spacers.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
            Should be a straightforward swap then. And yes, a bad trans mount can cause thuds as well as shaking in your shifter
            That's the odd part - shifter doesn't shake/vibrate.

Raven

Comment

Have you checked your torque arm mount? Mine is a body mount but makes a helluva racket when the bolt was not torqued to spec.

If you have checked and retorqued all your suspension under the car and it still is making that sound, I would say swap the trans mount. It is cheap and can't hurt if everything else has been ruled out.

Did you get around to checking that U-joint?

Comment

The existing mount bushing is "squashed" which I know isn't correct - so I'm changing it regardless to my 98+ bushing - which is a different design and more solid.

Raven

Comment

That is a good starting point then. Just check torque on all your other bolts while under there and let us know how it goes

Comment

If the shifter pops up when you hit the gas in low gear like 1st, broken trans mount. I've replaced this about 4 times it's an easy job. I slotted my trans mount to fit the V8 mount, it's a solid rubber mount which I prefer. Need a few washers to space it though since its shorter.
                    Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                    Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                      Had to get another phone
                      by ssms5411
                      Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                      1 week ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Leaking front cover
                      by ssms5411
                      So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • transamtom1
                      Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                      by transamtom1
                      Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X