Driveshaft Universal Joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft Universal Joint

Anyone have this fail? What kind of noise does it make? Could you "blow it out" driving into a depression in the road, compressing the rear suspension, and significantly changing the shaft angle?
    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Yours on your car Robert? Haven’t had one fail on mine so don’t know.
    Last edited by ssms5411; 04-06-2020, 08:44 AM.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Yes - could be the torque arm bushing? It's speed related and appears to be a vibration?

Raven

Comment

When my Camaro one went (I can't remember if I had 2 piece or 1 piece at the time) it made a loud humming sound with vibration - it almost sounded as if the brakes were rubbing. When the one on my Jeep went it made more of a squealing sound.

I don't believe it can go out from a large bump.

Have you gotten under the car and checked the joint for play? Grab the driveshaft by the U-joint and try to move it side to side and up and down. If you can move it the U-joint needs replacing.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

They aren't hard to replace, but can be a pain sometimes. Just make sure you don't drop the cap and lose any of the needle bearings when you put the new one in. The grease does a pretty good job of holding it all together but just be mindful.

This is what a bad U-joint will look like if you have play in it:

Now, this guys U-joint is REALLY bad. Yours may not be this bad, but any play left/right up/down is bad. This play is different from rotational slop that can also be felt if you turn the driveshaft and you hear a click because of the rear end stopping it. Strictly look for play in the joint

Comment

That’s a great video Mike.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Well - looks like I bent the LH spindle for sure - as the tie rod end is angled - not vertical like the RH side - didn't see it until tonight. I'll pull the wheel this weekend - but I'm thinking it's scraping the back side of my aluminum rim.

It didn't make sense that it that DS universal failed but it sure sounded like it coming from the DS tunnel. The grinding started as soon as I hit the rut (torn up asphalt that runs all the way across the road) - which keeps getting worse.

Raven

Comment

That was one helluva dip! You are sure you bent the spindle and it isn’t the damaged tie-rod making it look off?

Comment

That sucks Robert, not too long ago didn’t you have to replace a spindle? Because it was bent.

Comment

Yes - used of course - found that the LH side was bent, alignment was maxed out. Now the RH side - but I've had a spare set for years. Used the LH 2 years - now I'll use the RH - just hope the lower A-arm is OK - I'll see this weekend.

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                      That was one helluva dip! You are sure you bent the spindle and it isn’t the damaged tie-rod making it look off?
                      Nope - I'll get some pictures this weekend.

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                        Yes - used of course - found that the LH side was bent, alignment was maxed out. Now the RH side - but I've had a spare set for years. Used the LH 2 years - now I'll use the RH - just hope the lower A-arm is OK - I'll see this weekend.
                        At least you have a spare. Let us know how it goes. Good luck

Comment

If I need to replace the A-arm - need to blast, power coat, new bushings, and ball joint - and pay to have it all done. I might just get the UMI boxed lower A-arms and be done with it.

Raven

Comment

My lower A arms from PA racing broke at the weld- the UMI boxed ones look like a much better design and I may one day run them as well.

IIRC- the bolts to remove the A-arm will be seized pretty bad. Actually I don’t think I ever got mine out ( mind you this was before I had a good air gun and a map torch)

You may want to order new bolts just in case. I remember I broke every bolt getting my subframe off and spent days drilling them out (I bet if I had to use a torch and an airgun I would not have though! Experience!)

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                              If I need to replace the A-arm - need to blast, power coat, new bushings, and ball joint - and pay to have it all done. I might just get the UMI boxed lower A-arms and be done with it.
                              Didn’t you use 1LE A-arms , remember you went with beefier a-arms or something like that. My PA racing A-arms are holding up well but don’t really trust them , UMI is a good choice.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X