No announcement yet.

Driveshaft Universal Joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A-arms are the same stamping - just different bushings. Put in 1LE NOS bushings.
    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
      My lower A arms from PA racing broke at the weld- the UMI boxed ones look like a much better design and I may one day run them as well.

IIRC- the bolts to remove the A-arm will be seized pretty bad. Actually I don’t think I ever got mine out ( mind you this was before I had a good air gun and a map torch)

You may want to order new bolts just in case. I remember I broke every bolt getting my subframe off and spent days drilling them out (I bet if I had to use a torch and an airgun I would not have though! Experience!)
      Completely rebuilt A-arms were just installed 2 years ago when I replaced the K-member - and the car never sees rain.

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post

Completely rebuilt A-arms were just installed 2 years ago when I replaced the K-member - and the car never sees rain.
        You should be golden then!

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Well I found it! The A-arm vertical rear bushing on passenger side (the last 1LE NOS) - has come loose and slid out of the pocket. Time for the UMI boxed A-arms!

Raven

Comment

That sucks, but at least you found it, think of it as weight saving since the tubulars are lighter.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

5 lbs each

https://www.umiperformance.com/home/...arms-rod-ends/

Raven

Comment

That’s not bad.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Well THAT"S not the problem either now - looked at it on the ground and the driver side - identical. Back to something scrapping while rotating under the car. More effort to figure out.

Raven

Comment

Well, we’re back to that sucks. What did you hit?

Comment

A rut that runs across the road - where new asphalt and old meet. Drive over it everyday with the DD. But as soon as I hit it last Sunday with the Bird, something happened - thought I had ripped the radiator spoiler off but when I stopped I couldn't see/find anything. Will have to wait until next weekend and devote more time to finding the "grinding" noise.

Raven

Comment

A rut that runs across the road - where new asphalt and old meet. Drive over it everyday with the DD. But as soon as I hit it last Sunday with the Bird, something happened - thought I had ripped the radiator spoiler off but when I stopped I couldn't see/find anything. Will have to wait until next weekend and devote more time to finding the "grinding" noise.
                        That’s too bad, what speed were you doing?

Comment

Did you ever check the U-joint?

Also, I would Jack the car up and spin each tire one at a time to see if you can replicate the noise front and back. Even put the rear end in the air and trans in drive to see if it makes the sound.

Could be a shield on the brakes bent up, could be a backing on one of your brake pads came loose and lodged somewhere. Or, if you have drums in the back maybe something broke within?

Could also be pinion related...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                            Did you ever check the U-joint?

Also, I would Jack the car up and spin each tire one at a time to see if you can replicate the noise front and back. Even put the rear end in the air and trans in drive to see if it makes the sound.

Could be a shield on the brakes bent up, could be a backing on one of your brake pads came loose and lodged somewhere. Or, if you have drums in the back maybe something broke within?

Could also be pinion related...

Need to check the U-joint - come around back to that now.

Fronts turn fine.

Sounded like it was going to come up through the console.

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post

That’s too bad, what speed were you doing?
                              35mph?

Raven

Comment

Only 35, thats not too fast, must be something that was on its way out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  3 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X