7.625 Differential Rebuild including a new Auburn - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7.625 Differential Rebuild including a new Auburn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.625 Differential Rebuild including a new Auburn

I am a auto tech for over 20years in the process of rebuilding and installing an Auburn Pro Series but at the very begining of assembly I am in a situation with then pinion assembly.
    The rebuild kit is Ratech RAT-3001K...I am reusing ring gear and pinion so reusing oem pinion shim/s but as I am tightening the pinion nut I checking until they is no float or shake in the pinion then is when I realise I have the nut fully tighten and still have float.
    I'm suspecting the pinion bearings are no not oem spec....looking to order from a different manufacturer.
    Have any of you come accross such?

Couple questions for you:

1) If only installing the Auburn, why did you pull the Pinion? Could you not get the backlash setup just using shims on diff / ring gear? This is how we installed my Eaton to replace my zexel torsen.

2) What do you mean tighten until there is no float or shake? The gears need to be setup with proper backlash which will require the use of a dial indicator. I believe the recommended backlash is .008 to .012 if memory serves me right, but I would need to pull out my haines manual to verify.

3) Do you have the new crush sleeve in place?

I can't remember the brand I used as it was a long time ago...Ratech sounds familiar though...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I pull the pinion as I was in there for over 20 years I decided why not change bearings and seal...what I mean about float or shake is in terms of setting the pinion preload,the pinion bearings won't load....as I say I purchase Ratech RAT-3001K....so a crush sleeve would also been changed.

Comment

I totally understand - I ask because there have been a number of folks in the past (including shops) who don't use the new crush sleeve.

The crush sleeve is what creates the preload on the pinion bearing. So my next question since you have the new crush sleeve installed is have you applied enough force to crush the crush sleeve? They take A LOT of force and you would be suprised how many people torque the pinion nut not crushing the sleeve.

See this thread here as they describe what appears to be a somewhat similar issue to what you are facing: http://nastyz28.com/threads/pinion-b...problem.79040/

You also might find this thread helpful with your install: https://www.camarov6.com/forum/techn...stall-question

Comment

I come to say I see my situationI thought I run out of threads before the crush washer made contact with the outer pinion bearing....so what I did....I took the crush washer out and slowly tighten the pinion nut and realise the pinion bearings made contact to the out races....so now I know I now have to really tighten that nut with the crush washer install...
          Thanks to Letzride who took time to reply...now I have to get in the gym to be able to really get that nut turn when the load then become on the crush sleeve.

Comment

It’s a common mistake- glad we were able to help out!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
              Hello everyone!
              by Andy H
              Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
              2 weeks ago
            • 3.4 slow to go
              hey there strangers!
              by 3.4 slow to go
              been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
              2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X