Ford 8.8 rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 8.8 rear end

I replaced my spider gears and clutch packs in my ford 8.8 swapped rear end in my camaro on Wednesday and I’ll be damned it was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.

I’ll post some pics up shortly, but those things come apart and go back together like nothing

Ford 8.8 trak loc

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

That's good, housing looks pretty clean.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Hey Mike did you get it in? How much was your ford 8.8 rear? Did you have to modify anything? Can I use my 97 rear discs brakes ? What gear options are their for the 8.8? I was looking at strange 12 bolts since their a direct replacement but the price tag is like $3100 , which is steep. Just thinking how long my 10 bolt will hold up with the turbo on it. Just looking at options for the future, already know what tranny Im going to get when mine goes. Performbuilt for $2200. Trying to come up with a budget so I know how much to save.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I got the spider gears and clutch pack all installed- the Ford 8.8 has been in for a long time and has gone in both the v6 and LS1.

As far as modification it was literally plug and play minus a quick change to the U-joint on the driveshaft and modifying a few bolt shoulders to fit in a tight spot by the axles (I could of just bought T-bolts)

I have used both my LT1 style rear brakes and now my LS1 rear brakes and have maintained ABS in my LS1 since this time around I had the 4 channel system. The 3 channel ABS I don’t think can be kept, but 4 channel just involves getting a toner ring for the axles.

Gear options are pretty much the same as us if not more options- I run 3.73.

I’ll have to dig up the contact info for you for the guy on tech who built mine, it cost me about 1000$ plus a posi unit which at Summit racing you can buy a Ford Racing one for $250.

These have gone into the 8’s without breakage and I am not conserned with abusing this thing at all.

The guy who built mine uses the Ford 8.8 center section and welds on F-body axle tubes so all pur suspension bolts and lines up perfectly. Then he cuts the ends of our tubes off and welds on an adapter that allows us to use a Ford 9” wheelbearing eliminating C-clips. The whole thing is beefy. He also set me up with the specs needed to get custom moser axles- I went 31 spline so that I could keep costs down and use Ford Racing Posi units.

All in I was about $1,200 Canadian into it- which is like $700 American lol

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Good to know, I won't be adding a rear for awhile I hope but the price tag for the ford 8.8 sounds good. Thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
            Hello everyone!
            by Andy H
            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
            2 weeks ago
          • 3.4 slow to go
            hey there strangers!
            by 3.4 slow to go
            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X