rear-end 2k camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear-end 2k camaro

Anybody know what hp level the rear can survive?

Re: rear-end 2k camaro

depends how you drive... with sticky tires, not much past stock. I grenaded a Zexel torsen and an Eaton both cam only

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Thanks for the reply, although not very encouraging. lol
      I have been receiving that response from most people. Do you suppose that GM used the same rear for the new platforms? Some have claimed the 10's, while others have stated as you have, just sticky tires.
      A friend of mine that has run low 10's, used an 8.8" rear from an explorer w/great success, besides it being cheaper than a 9". He got it out of the salvage yard w/brakes and rotors attached. mod'd it for the torque arm. He has since decided to go w/an ls-1 due to cracking an aluminum head on the 3.8l. He is looking to build a low budget 9.9sec street machine. So I am encouraged by his success and inclined to go that route, w/8.8" being so much cheaper than the 9" as a plus.
      Last edited by SHADOWII; 11-01-2015, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I have an 8.8 in mine- if built properly they are stout. The guy who built mine has had them go into 9's with no breakage.

I doubt the 5th gens are using the same rear end, but the same 10 bolt was used from 93-02 regardless of v6/v8

Guys who have run 10's with the 10 bolt just got lucky I guess...in no way is it reliable, and I wonder how many of those guys have torn apart the rear after each race day

I mean, you could probably run a 300 shot of nitrous on a car to...might hold up- eventually it will go lol

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I am beginning to understand why people don't get too excited about mod'g these cars. It has to be rebuilt from the ground up. I started w/a budget of $3500-$4000.
          I didn't realize they were engineered for failure. I'm building this as my daily driver w/~450whp,not realizing it would be a money pit! LOL!

Comment

I have been pricing the 8.8" rears and they range from $125-$600.00, depending on where it's purchased and the # of used miles on them. They still need to be modified for the spring perches, etc.
            This looks like it's going to be a winter project instead of being completed before winter sets in. The problem remains I need it for winter!
            Maybe just pull the motor, tank it, rebuild it w/new forged pistons and cam. Mod the s/c and throw it together?
            Decisions, decisions......???????

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
              Had to get another phone
              by ssms5411
              Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
              1 week ago
            • ssms5411
              Leaking front cover
              by ssms5411
              So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
              2 weeks ago
            • transamtom1
              Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
              by transamtom1
              Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
              3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X