Tranny overfilled and bubbles?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny overfilled and bubbles?!

New to me 2002 Bird with what seems to be an over filled tranny. I do see bubbles on the dipstick. Im not quite sure if something else is causing bubbles and making me misread the fluid level, or if fluid level is causing bubbles.

With a search a read of posts here and there, some say bubbles are OK. I dont see how that can be true considering air would cause breakdown in lubrication.

Does the stick go directly in the pan? If so, is it just bubbling or rather foaming?

If drain fluid and refill; what fluid, additives, amount, filter brand, gasket, and, what type RTV on gasket if applicable?
    sigpic
    98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Re: Tranny overfilled and bubbles?!

How many miles are on it?

Comment

Originally posted by techsan23 View Post
      How many miles are on it?
      5char
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nimrod.sixty9 View Post
        New to me 2002 Bird with what seems to be an over filled tranny. I do see bubbles on the dipstick. Im not quite sure if something else is causing bubbles and making me misread the fluid level, or if fluid level is causing bubbles.

With a search a read of posts here and there, some say bubbles are OK. I dont see how that can be true considering air would cause breakdown in lubrication.

Does the stick go directly in the pan? If so, is it just bubbling or rather foaming?

If drain fluid and refill; what fluid, additives, amount, filter brand, gasket, and, what type RTV on gasket if applicable?
        Overfilling causes aeration and thats not good.

Most store brand filters and gasket kits are good.

Use dexron 6 synthetic it resists aeration and heat.

Also put a good aftermarket cooler on her.

Comment

Originally posted by transamtom1 View Post
          Overfilling causes aeration and thats not good.

Most store brand filters and gasket kits are good.

Use dexron 6 synthetic it resists aeration and heat.

Also put a good aftermarket cooler on her.
          I believe this was all just done by the previous owner. Maybe just overfilled?
          Is there a way to easily drain? Maybe add some Lucas conditioner?
          sigpic

Comment

Tranny overfilled and bubbles?!

Does it read overfull on the dipstick? The only way to drain it properly is to drop the pan. If you are going to do that then you should change the filter too. I installed a new pan with a drain plug on mine. Much easier for future service. I do not recommend switching to synthetic with that many miles on it. I used Dex/Merc when I did mine.

Comment

Here is what I used.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408656287.438896.jpg
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1538970

Comment

Originally posted by nascar24jd View Post
                Does it read overfull on the dipstick? The only way to drain it properly is to drop the pan. If you are going to do that then you should change the filter too. I installed a new pan with a drain plug on mine. Much easier for future service. I do not recommend switching to synthetic with that many miles on it. I used Dex/Merc when I did mine.

[ATTACH]5474[/ATTACH]
                I was thinking detach a cooler line at the radiator. Hopefully get it low enough to throw in some Lucas.

Id say it was about 4 ~ 5 inches above the max hex line. Ran off and on for 30 minutes (deff hot), running, on fairly level ground, in park.

The reason I mention the Lucas stuff is that I can notice that it is lazy between gear changes. It could be my perception as I do normally drive LS1/T56 and a Vortec powered Tahoe, but lazy and somewhat late shifts (especially first to second) is the best way to explain it.
                Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 08-21-2014, 05:00 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to get another phone
                  by ssms5411
                  Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                  1 week ago
                • ssms5411
                  Leaking front cover
                  by ssms5411
                  So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                  2 weeks ago
                • transamtom1
                  Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                  by transamtom1
                  Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X