• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torsen Differential Bearings ?

Hey guys,

I finally got around to upgrading the Open Diff to an LSD -
    Picked up a 2000 Torsen from eBay

Owner says its in working condition but I might prefer changing over the Bearings and if i really want to go the distance - then possibly even the Races.

I dont know much about differentials so which way do i go ?
    Where can i find the parts online ? And which ones would be compatible with my particular LSD ?

Anything else i should pickup while im at it ?
    Parts going overseas for immediate install so missing a bearing/seal/gasket is a PITA.

Thanks for all the help ! :rock:

Re: Torsen Differential Bearings ?

Since your going to have the rear out , a TA cover and stud kit would be a nice upgrade. Hawks 3rd gen has them.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
      Since your going to have the rear out , a TA cover and stud kit would be a nice upgrade. Hawks 3rd gen has them.

Thanks for the advice -

I went with a Proform "Perfect Launch" cover.
      Just loved the writing on it. Lol

Is it as good as the TA cover you recommended ?

Comment

If you only replace the bearings without the races you've actually gone backwards. Bearings and races in rearends mate. When you replace the crush sleeve there's no way to ever get it EXACTLY where it was prior to rebuild, close yes but exactly no. Orielly sells a rebuild kit for our rear ends all new bearings ,races, seals, crush sleeve, etc in 1 box. They also rent the race remover tool for free, good luck getting the crush sleeve right mine took an 8ft long persuader bar

Comment

Originally posted by htmabe View Post
          If you only replace the bearings without the races you've actually gone backwards. Bearings and races in rearends mate. When you replace the crush sleeve there's no way to ever get it EXACTLY where it was prior to rebuild, close yes but exactly no. Orielly sells a rebuild kit for our rear ends all new bearings ,races, seals, crush sleeve, etc in 1 box. They also rent the race remover tool for free, good luck getting the crush sleeve right mine took an 8ft long persuader bar

Wish i had read this before -
          I Live in the middle east - so getting parts is a royal PITA especially for V6 guys. LT1 and LS1 have readily available parts. Drivetrain is a totally different subject. No one gets a break here.

Now can I install the Torsen LSD as is ?
          (currently have an open diff with 3.42's and an A4)
          I haven't bought any of the rebuild kits / bushings or anything as such,

EDIT : Scratch that - bought one of these --- USA Standard Gear (ZK GM7.5-B) Master Overhaul Kit for GM 7.5"/7.625" Differential ---
          Comes with everything you listed.
          Now if only it can make it on time to the freight forwarding place that's getting my LSD.

Thanks -
          Last edited by ibuansary; 08-10-2014, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Yes you can install it as is and I recommend that you do UNLESS you're just dying to this rebuild. The guy said it was good to go what do you have to lose? Might want to think about new hardware, a lot of times first time removing this kind of stuff the old rusted hardware snaps broken esp at the roll bar ends so heads up there. Factory rear ends are tough and getting the new gears to line up with the new pinion just exactly right with .008 of runout isn't too easy. Btw , pinions and gears are also mated sets switch them in pairs too. The only reason I know anything about them is because I change my gearing often from track to track so I got to learn the hard ,expensive way. So much so I switched over to a ford 9 inch now its take out the entire pumpkin and install this one instead. The only problem I ever had with the factory rearend is I would rip the axels out when the clips that hold em in fail on super hard turns. I 've been told they make clip eliminators but never tried them' just switched over to the ford rear end.

Comment

Originally posted by htmabe View Post
              Yes you can install it as is and I recommend that you do UNLESS you're just dying to this rebuild. The guy said it was good to go what do you have to lose? Might want to think about new hardware, a lot of times first time removing this kind of stuff the old rusted hardware snaps broken esp at the roll bar ends so heads up there. Factory rear ends are tough and getting the new gears to line up with the new pinion just exactly right with .008 of runout isn't too easy. Btw , pinions and gears are also mated sets switch them in pairs too. The only reason I know anything about them is because I change my gearing often from track to track so I got to learn the hard ,expensive way. So much so I switched over to a ford 9 inch now its take out the entire pumpkin and install this one instead. The only problem I ever had with the factory rearend is I would rip the axels out when the clips that hold em in fail on super hard turns. I 've been told they make clip eliminators but never tried them' just switched over to the ford rear end.

Now I wish I had read this before buying the kit.
              Meh forget it - way I see it - atleast if something breaks or is already broken - I already have the master rebuild kit.
              Less downtime when and if it happens.

Im not even sure folks here can do it with .008 of precision. This seems like something that could go wrong easily.

What would u say I do change while installing the lsd - whoch is in the rebuild kit (crush sleeve, bearing, races etc)

Comment

It's really not that hard to set backlash once you've done it a couple times ok the first time is a little bit hard but you'll get it. All you need is a magnetic dial indicator base and a dial indicator, 50 bucks worth of tools you keep and use on other stuff like setting top dead center to absolute zero. Just fyi .005 inches is too tight .0012 inches too loose that's why the .008 inches, no metric crap from me, lol. Anyone who's ever done a rear end with a gear and pinion can do it. u tube has videos showing this stuff, looks hard but it's not, just another procedure. If you're gonna do the lsd and your already in there I'd replace everything in the kit. Axel seals {pry em out ,beat em out either way get em gone},axel bearings/races {same, get em gone} ,pinion seal, pinion bearings / races , make em all disappear, if your scared drop stuff in baggies then label baggies for identification of old stuff location. What ever old comes out, new goes in, really that simple. Now install all your new stuff. Fyi install goes a lot smoother. The new crush sleeve is a beech , yes, it's gonna take ALOT to get where you need to be, use a cheater pipe and lock your gears with a chunk of aluminum,vise grips, whatever but lock em good. Keep checkin your backlash along the way when it reads good stop your done, put cover plate on, fill with purple synthetic stuff {oh yes I did again} and reinstall. Chevy rear ends are quite simple watch the videos and you'll be amazed at just how simple it really is, might take you a whole day but so what. Many rear ends later it still takes me about 2 hrs compared to my first one which took all day and then some. The videos show all this stuff. I'll check back now and again.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                  Hello everyone!
                  by Andy H
                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                  2 weeks ago
                • 3.4 slow to go
                  hey there strangers!
                  by 3.4 slow to go
                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                  2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X