trans/clutch issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trans/clutch issue

It's really hard to describe this, and obviously you guys can only give me a best guess without feeling the issue, but I'll try anyways. Occasionally the car will buck randomly once or twice while I'm just maintaining speed. It almost feels like someone is quickly pushing the clutch in and out. This has happened at WOT, normal accelerating, and maintaining speed on the highway. The thing that gets me is it's not constant, sometimes I go 2 or 3 days without any issues and sometimes it happens 3 times in 5 minutes. I don't feel anything strange in the gas pedal or steering wheel either.

The first time it happened I was WOT and it did it at the top end of the RPM range. That time it felt like a severe misfire, I didn't get on it again that day and it drove normally. Yesterday I floored it through 3rd gear and didn't have any issue, no slip, no bucking, nothing unusual. It's just so odd to me how inconsistent this is.

I did scan it for codes and there were none.

By the way, within the last 5000 miles I've replaced:
    Clutch
    spark plugs
    Plug wires
    Fuel filter
    PCV valve

Anybody have any ideas?
    Last edited by 02firebird; 03-19-2014, 03:20 PM.

Re: trans/clutch issue

Check the wiring and connectors on the cam and crank sensors. Sounds like what mine did when I had a bad wire to the crank sensor.

Comment

Sounds like either a miss or perhaps the ECM is pulling timing due to "knock".
      Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
      Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
      Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
      Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
      Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Checking the connections is something I can do tomorrow at work. If all that checks out then I guess I'll talk to a shop that can check out the ECM?

Comment

Only way I found mine, was to have HPT datalogging when it happened, and saw the crank speed drop from 5700 to 0 in one frame. Get a scanner on it.

Comment

Sounds like a plan, just gotta find time between work and school.

Comment

My car did the same thing but threw the mass air flow trouble code p102. Turned out with further research that the k and n air filter oil I used on my cai ruined my maf sensor. I know you said no codes but just some info. Definetly not clutch related the way I'm reading it.

Comment

That's why I've never used a k&n filter on this car, heard too many stories like that. I should be heading down to a local shop to have it hooked up to hp tuners in the next week or so to figure out exactly what the issue is.

Comment

Or don't over-oil your filter and its fine to run one. That also works. Ya know, using it properly...

Comment

Well the shop couldn't help. While it was hooked up and we were driving around it didn't do it once, and we put about 40 miles on it. The guy was nice enough not to charge me anything since he couldn't help. So I'm back at square one, throw money at random parts, or drive it until it does it more consistently?

Comment

Throwing money around isn't the answer... find the problem, and fix it right.

Comment

I've found a little bit of consistency on when it happens now at least. It never happens on the first start up and drive of the day, no matter how long or short it is, but if the car sits for an hour or 2 and I go to drive it again it tends to do it more often. If the car sits for 5 or 6 hours and I drive it again all is well.

I'm not sure if this narrows it down a bit or just makes things more confusing lol.

Comment

Gonna throw this out there. Maybe condensation in the plug wires? Dielectric grease and new wires might cure it. Had a similar problem. The grease is the key here. It seals the connections.
                          help me build the ultimate sleeper soon ill have a lot more mods than i can list and watch out for the spikes. 02 firebird

Comment

Are you talking about greasing the tip of the plug that plugs into the wire?

Comment

You mean your not lubing your spark plugs when you change your oil? But no really, its used on the ceramic part of the plug to seal it up against the wire boots.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X