Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t5 go Boom!

Re: t5 go Boom!

That sucks , is it the famous 3rd gear? If you are keeping your Camaro turboed you might want to do a G-force build or T56. How much boost are you running?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Got a new one on epay right now and just finished another on my bench sat. v6 3.8 Camaro t5 world class timkin bearings.Vss not cable

Comment

Wow, the gear is completely cleaned off.

Comment

Do they make a G-force kit for our T-5? I couldn't find one on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhunadan View Post
            Do they make a G-force kit for our T-5? I couldn't find one on their website.
            They make a T-5 for our cars just need to call them.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

yeah its third. its wild, 3rd decided to go when i down shifted into second. it went into 2nd gear and was pulling then i just heard the gears shatter. i really thought i was missing 5th gear. but i can't seem to find anything wrong with it. i can't decide what to do with it right now. at this moment i'm looking at just putting in another t5 and going easy on the shifts. i'm running 10psi.

Comment

hey htmabe sounds like you know your way around t5's. i've got a t5 that would keep popping out of 5th because the retaining clip came out of place. i've read that it's a common problem. do you have any recommendations to fix it? I've got to to replace the lower 5th gear because its chipped and put a new retainer clip on it? is there a good place to buy that clip? i can take the 5th gear off of my transmission. do you know of any secrets to keepin the clip on ? or should i be okay if i just order a new one?? oh i can i just tap the gear back with a rubber mallet?

Comment

well today i learned you can't just replace the retainer clip(without removing the main shaft and everything on it. because the speedo gear doesn't come off the mainshaft. i'm going to be gangster and just weld that clip into place. i also learned a rubber mallet is no match for that 5th gear. i'm going to have to get a brass drift.

Comment

Not to sure which clip your talking about. I think its the 3 way clip that holds the syncros in place. I throw that factory one away and make my own. Mine is braced not to bend and it doesn't. More importantly than that I make an aluminum billet retainer to replace the factory junk steel retainer for 5th gear bearing race. The one that has 3 tabs on it you bend over. You will se it right under 5th gear. Theory is factory one is non load bearing so it just has to hold bearing and race in place. I'm callin bs . It's half in the case and half out. Therefore without one of my retainers it's half as strong and the reason 3rd gear blows. 3rd gear is right in the middle where the flex takes place. Not trying to be a salesman but these t5s can be made to take a beatin it just takes some knowhow. Also very important when you reassemble the front bearing race needs to be shimmed correctly to set your final thrust. I use an "adjustable" shim washer peel and stick {another part I make}. I don't like stacking shims so mine is all one piece but you can remove layers .010 at a time. I use Annahiem gear for parts and some other epay companies depending on what I'm building though.

Comment

My bad you said retainer . I'm not sure if I hate your idea about welding it or love it. I can say I'm leaning towards hell no don't weld it. The thing is the retainers are hardened spring steel and when you weld em they will lose there spring. Might not feel it but it will. I think the reason your losing the retainer is due to what's stated above. Kinda got the horse ahead of the carriage on that one.

Comment

i did think about how the heat would affect it but if its welded in place the clamping force of the spring wouldn't be what's holding it in place anymore. atleast that's how its worked out in my head.i appreciated your feedback. how much are the t5's you're selling? i've got a t56 and was going to go that route but the swap is a little more money than i can handle right now.

Ohh big question.. should that bearing race on the tailshaft be able to fall out on its own with the fifth gears removed?? i didn't see anything that would hold it in, and it seems sketchy to me.

Comment

Rear bearing race is cool the trans tail shaft holds it in place. Not a design flaw either, works fine.

Comment

T56 is a boat anchor . You'll lose too much horse power rotating that thing. T5 s are too light for an ls1 it would tear the cases to shreds. By the same token an ls1 has plenty of hp to rotate that indestructable t56.The good news is it's worth 1200 sitting on the floor where it belongs Imho, as is. I could build one hell of a t5 for way less than that, we're talking bolt in and spray away and you could still pocket a bunch of cash

Comment

Retainer, don't weld it if you do go gangsta make sure you don't clean it with brake cleaner!!!!!! Brake cleaner + welding= agent orange . No messin around there. Did a lot of reading on the subject to the point I don't even buy brake cleaner anymore. Jb weld could help but you need to address why your blowing that retainer off the shaft. There is a problem elsewhere and that's just a result after the fact a weld there would just break something else, the next weakest link behind the ticking time bomb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                6 hours ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X