Aftermarket Clutches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket Clutches

Is it worth it to go with an aftermarket clutch? Or should I just stick with an OEM replacement. It will be seeing ~300rwhp/tq.

I've seen clutches offered by Zoom, McLeod, Centerforce, and RAM. I've heard mixed reviews on Centerforce stuff, and Zoom seems to be the most affordable. McLeod is the only one of the 4 that doesn't offer a complete clutch disc/pressure plate kit.
    aka FreedStyle
    Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
    2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Re: Aftermarket Clutches

You'll be looking for a new trans before the clutch goes. I had a Spec 3 and it lasted about 2 years before I blew 3rd gear out of it. I think it made 290HP and 330 TQ running a Powerdyne.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

My trans blew with bolt ons lol, had it rebuilt and have a spec sitting in my parts pile for when I ever get the motor done. I've heard good things about Centerforce.
      3M MAFIA
      ________
      | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
      Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
      sigpic

Comment

I have something in the works for next winter that should take care of any trans issues ;)
        aka FreedStyle
        Chaddrich Freed

Comment

I like my Centerforce - and they are made here in Prescott Arizona. Drive past them going to my office.
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Running centerforce as well. I like it so far. Not harsh, easy engagement.

Comment

Originally posted by CFreed11 View Post
              I have something in the works for next winter that should take care of any trans issues ;)
              You'll have to keep me updated on that, I don't think the T5 will survive after the motor swap.
              3M MAFIA
              ________
              | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
              Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
              sigpic

Comment

There will be a build thread started here within the next month or two that will document everything in my project. I've been collecting parts for a while now, but didn't hve enough to start a thread just yet.
                aka FreedStyle
                Chaddrich Freed

Comment

I think I'll be investing in a Spec 3+ here shortly... and then praying to the transmission gods that mine doesn't die. I plan on keeping a 5speed, just gotta find one that likes power.

Comment

You guys think the Centerforce clutch would be ok for my power goals? It's listed at up to 90% better than stock. Or should I invest in a Spec clutch since they have different options specific to power and use? I'd rather not spend more than I have to, but like I said, I don't want something that won't last. I think I've ruled out Zoom and RAM. I know I can get a good deal on Centerforce through my work, but I'm not sure we carry Spec, so I'd likely have to pay retail for that.
                    aka FreedStyle
                    Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Contact centerforce, theyll give you the hp and tq specs. Mcleod can do a custom clutch too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                        Hello everyone!
                        by Andy H
                        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • 3.4 slow to go
                        hey there strangers!
                        by 3.4 slow to go
                        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X