Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle rattle

Here is the situation on this...

I changed the left axle, ordered a PowerTorque axle from O'Reillysauto.

That one is fine.

A few months later, I changed the right axle. This was a Dorman axle from Autozone, after which I got this rattle.

On every little hole in the role the right rear tire goes over, there is a rattle from the rear right and if I put my hand on the hump between the rear seats in the middle, I can feel the rattle from where the right axle goes inside the differential. What is wrong with it? Do I need a new axle or could it be something else since it is new?

Re: Axle rattle

did you replace the bearing and seal? what was wrong with the axle

Comment

Yes I replaced both. The axle was the original one, had 100k mi on it and it had this noise like when turning..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Axels don't really go bad.They're either broken{stripped splines cracks etc} or good.Sounds more like pinion bearing.Also when replaceing bearings you have to do the races too.These parts are pressed in and therefore pressed out. there's a crush sleeve that must also be replaced for correct backlash when replacing pinion bearings.Backlash should be set at .010 +_ .001.

Comment

I replaced the racers and both axles, it cannot be the pinion bearing since I am not hearing any type of noise at all from the differential, only when the right tire goes over a pothole or some other deformity of the road is when there is a rattle.

Comment

I had to replace carrier bearings, out bearings, and axles to completely eliminate the noise.

Comment

My guess is there's nothing wrong with your axles.

Try checking the top of each rear shock. Make sure the rubber cushions on both sides of the body mounting point are in good condition. Make sure the nuts are properly tightened.

Next try checking the bolts holding the torque arm to the axle.

Make sure the parking brake cables are properly attached to the axle.

Make sure the rear stabilizer bar (if you have one) is attached properly to the axle and check the stab. bar links and their mounts.

Comment

I have checked literally everything and the noise comes from the inside of the differential. The way I confirmed it was by putting the car on those plates which the tires rest on and the plates move the tires side to side. When the plate moves the right rear tire inwards towards the left comes the noise from where the axle goes into the differential.

Comment

Could it be that the Dorman axle I bought is not made to spec and is a bit longer or shorter?

Comment

What year is your car?

Axles got shorter for 98+ rear ends. 93-97 axles are longer.
                    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Its a 2001..but I got the part from autozone for my year car

Comment

Autozone lists two part numbers for 2001.

Also, a 93-97 axle will fit a 98+ - but not the other way.

I bought a performance axle years ago that they said fit my 96, but it was for 98+ - too short - they even argued with me that I did something wrong installing it.

But GM has two axle p/n and the other messageboards have the same stories.
                        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

After I changed my carrier I had this horrible knocking sound over bumps and sometimes when I would turn, I thought I totally screwed something up. I did a lot of extra work just to find out I didn't torque my panhard bolts enough. It looked and felt fine when I was under the car and just decided to tighten everything down a bit more. Just food for thought.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                            Hello everyone!
                            by Andy H
                            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                            2 weeks ago
                          • 3.4 slow to go
                            hey there strangers!
                            by 3.4 slow to go
                            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                            2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X