3.8 with auto trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.8 with auto trans

So I'm downgrading. Long story. I commute about 90 miles round trip each day. I want something that looks good and does good on gas. I'm looking at 00-02 camaro 3.8. I want some real input. My price range is 4k max. I don't want the v8 because of insurance and gas.

Questions about it. My uncle has a shop and said that 4th gen camaros are extremely hard to work on. But I've read online that the 3.8 Is really reliable, which is what I'm looking for.

I looked at a camaro today. Guy wanted 4k for an 01 5speed with 88k miles. no power anything 5 spd. Shifted seemed to shake a lot, plus made me realize i want an automatic for my commute.

Maybe I've just been too used to my charger but the motor seemed bogged down, rear wheel well squeaked stereo had a hum and a bad install, quarter panel had a dent. Back bumper was scratched, front bumper was way mis aligned. Carfax said 8 owners and a front end accident minor back in 01.

It made me want to look into automatics.

Anyone know If the automatic trans are good in these cars?

Are the 3.8s a good motor and auto trans?

What should I look for when purchasing?

What kind of mileage can I expect with a 3.8 auto?

Re: 3.8 with auto trans

I have an 02 Firebird 3.8 purchased new and it is very easy to work on. There is a lot of room in the engine bay because its designed to accomodate a V8. So just about everything is very easy to get at. When you take a closer look, the cars are really a very simple, old school design that any competent mechanic or owner can maintain.

If taken care of, the 3.8 is a very reliable and popular engine, found in a wide variety of GM cars.

As far as the auto (and engine reliability), like any other car, it's going to depend on how the prior owner treated it and maintained it. If they beat on it and didn't maintain it, you are going to be buying a basket of problems. I have taken very good care of mine, it has 143K on it and has had very few problems.

A very basic Camaro or Firebird is going to have an open differential with either 3.08 or 3.23 gears, which is probably why you felt the engine was bogged down. Mine has 3.42 gears which work well with the 3.8 engine.

As for gas mileage, depending on your commute, you can expect between 22-28 mpg. If you are driving open highway at a reasonable speed (75-80mph) you should expect about 28, that's what mine gets. Stop and go around town it gets 22mpg. So OK, but not great, gas mileage. 3.08 or 3.23's will give better mileage.

You don't say where you live, but if you have snow, these cars are very poor in any kind of winter weather, so keep that in mind. I have a front wheel drive vehicle for my winter car because mine is so bad in snow I just leave it at home.
    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Re: 3.8 with auto trans

I can echo Rob Bell's sentiments.
      I bought my son his first car: 1996 Camaro 3.8 auto, 130k miles, in stellar condition, just a year ago. All it needed was a power window motor and a headliner re-do. It literally drives like a brand new car. It has 3.08 gears and has ranged from 22 mpg short trips to 29 mpg cruising at 70-75. If you're used to the torque of a V8, yes it feels weak at light throttle with the 3.08's, but it's surprisingly decent when you mash the throttle and the converter flashes higher to let the engine get into its powerband.
      I've owned and raced several vehicles with 4L60E trans, and I would fully expect that trans behind the 3.8 to easily go 300k miles if you just dump and refill the fluid about every 50k miles and replace the filter every 100k.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
        Hello everyone!
        by Andy H
        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
        3 weeks ago
      • 3.4 slow to go
        hey there strangers!
        by 3.4 slow to go
        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X